Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 269 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

I love it!!
By mkerrigan

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first Subie! I love it! Its the manual turbo with heated cloth seats. The interior is simple and nice. Exterior is sharp looking. Pickup and go is awesome! Great interior room and ride is quiet and solid. Gas mileage has been approx. 20 mpg, not bad. I am very happy.

Turbo, Exterior Look, Interior Room, power and smooth ride...

Headlight longevity...

great utility car
By Ron

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new now I have 109,000 miles on it with very few problems brakes at 45,000 tires at 52,000 brake job was expensive $800. I commute 140 miles each way to work about 10 times a month. Average mpg 26.6 This is my third Subaru and the only reason I will probably not get a fourth is I need a change. I have noticed some of the reviews indicate this car is not good in the snow I live in the northeast and drive many miles on the backroads of Maine, New Hanpshire and Vermont and I think this car is great in the snow One caveat if you like quick acceleration and power THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR YOU If you want reliable economical transportation and need AWD this is a great car.

Very comfortable driver's seat for short people.

none

It's no Audi S4, but...
By Jack

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

...that's not a bad thing! Don't tell the Audi guys, but I'm a Subie convert. Prior to the XT I owned an Audi S4 with the biturbo 2.7 V6 and 6 speed transmission, AWD, of course. I've always been a car guy and the S4 is a "car guy" kind of car, but I actually like the Outback XT more. Why? It provides 90% of the driving pleasure of the S4 (100% of the acceleration!) but without the worry over expensive repairs. I am totally thrilled with this car. I bought mine with 32,000 miles on it, one owner, and the car looks, feels, and runs like brand spankin' new. I used to think I was an Audi guy. Turns out I was actually a Subie guy with pretensions. Dropped the pretense and picked up the Subaru.

Acceleration (despite mild turbo lag), build quality, seats, rear cargo space, lots of useful but never gimmicky features, beautiful finish (Red Garnet), nice interior quality.

Five speed shifter could have shorter throw (...and a 6th gear). Needs more storage accessible from the driver's seat. Armrest is not really an armrest.

Terrible
By Donna

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first year I owned it - had to get new brakes, and new tires. Headlights burned out twice. Headlights are terrible - almost ran into the back of a tractor hauling a wagon because I was coming down hill and the lights don't shine upwards at all. 2nd year, had to get new Rotors, Brakes and tires (I made the mistake of buying the same Bridgestone tires). Terrible in the snow - Rear end constantly fishtails - even with new tires. Car sways as if the chassis is going to fall off the frame. I am so disappointed. This is my third Subaru, but will not buy one again.

None

Get better tires, put decent rotors on the car, fix the sway and improve the all wheel drive. Worst car I ever owned and priciest.

Best car for the money
By Dave Schwartz

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned Hondas, Toyotas, and several other foreign and domestic cars. The Subaru is by far the most dependable, best handling and Superior in bad weather to any car I have driven. I have a hard time believing some of the negative reviews I've read on the Internet. Either some people have never driven in the rain or a snow storm or they work for another car company. Do yourself a favor and just ask anyone who owns a Subaru what they think and I'm sure you'll get a very positive reply.

The sure footed feeling of all wheel drive makes you want to travel in the worst kind of weather!

More rear passenger leg room. However if you're like me I never travel long distances with more than one passenger, so it's not a big deal to me.