Used 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Super Value
By hkoestner

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have 3 Subarus in family, two 2005s - the '05 Outback with 5 speed is a wagon, SUV and sports car rolled into one. As with all my Subies, this one has almost 20k on it and no problems; great handling, superb in snow & comfortable. I am in sales and spend a lot of time in the car driving. Living in snowy winters you get the comfort as well as absolutely superior handling in all weather conditions. I trade them every 3 years or at around 40k, always buying Subies. I only consider Subies. Why change to something else when they work so well. Great looks, great handling, great reliability, comfortable and finally great value.

AWD, handling, exterior and interior looks and features, decent mileage, heated windshield, peppie with 5 speed.

none come to mind.

spice
By merle

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Outback. It's one of two we have; the other, a '97, is also in excellent shape and reliable. I feel very safe and secure when driving or a passenger in either Outback. Especially after a long winter!

Heated seat lots of room All wheel drive.

Heated steering wheel would like to be able to open the rear side windows for more fresh ventilation - I have a dog and she travels in the very back.

Love/Hate Relationship
By Russ

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a love hate relationship with my Outback. It has been into the dealer 9 times in six months. So far problems with the AC cycling every 15 seconds (hot to cold), defective radio, excessive rattles and squeeks in the drivers dash, coolant leaks, and the final straw, a cruise control that won't stay engaged. Performance wise, the car is great. Average 28-29 MPG highway roundtrip from Reno to Oakland and back. Handles great in deep snow and wet roads. Subaru is working the problems but I am about ready to give this one back! Must be the "one" defective Subaru. Would suggest a better stereo as the speakers are marginal at best for long drives.

All wheel drive and fuel economy

Fix the cruise control problem, better stereo speakers, use better plastic on dash that won't scratch so easily, go back to old AC condenser system that doesn't cycle every 15 seconds from hot to cold.

We Love this Car
By Pilgrim

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 1st Subbie and we're hooked. Heated seats, mirrors and wipers. This is a car designed for folks who live in the Great White North! Comfortable ride coupled to the security of AWD is a winning combination. The versatility of a wagon is a plus as well. Would not hesitate to recomend a test drive on a foot of freshly fallen snow!!

AWD is the feature on which this car is built. The 5 speed manual has a slick and positive feel. The rubber mat in the cargo area is "sticky" - things don't slide around. Get the thick rubber floor mats, they keep snow/mud/sand off your carpets. For an entry level model there are many surprising extras.

Miss a center arm rest? Seat fabric is nice to look at but gets dirty easily. The power with the manual transmission is adequate but that's all. If you like performance I'd suggest the XT model with the turbo. Personally I'd like a sixth gear to lower cruising speed engine noise as well as increase MPG.

LOVE this car!
By elfie

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for a month now and LOVE it. Everyone who rides in it can't believe it is a base model and how much it costs. It really feels like a luxury car. I went from a minivan to an Outback Wagon and the space has not been an issue as of yet. I have 2 kids in car seats and can fit a third booster seat in the middle in a pinch. Power is sufficient for me and have only felt a very slight lag when the car is loaded with firewood and all seats full with folks. Best feature - cuts through snowy roads like butter! 7" yesterday was no problem for this car. We are now die hard Subaru family and would never purchase anything else. My husband is looking at the Impreza or Outback Sport.

Luxury feel, high quality material, comfort and AWD capability

Memory power seat settings (only because my husband now drives it all the time!).