Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 269 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Turn off the Alarm Please!
By E. Knight

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For a first time new car buyer, the Subaru Outback is great! The only thing I don't like is the seatbelt safety bell rings constantly when the car is running and you are not even in the car. The alarm goes off when no one is in the passenger seat because it was kicked back too far. The drivers seat even went off when I was driving down the highway and buckled up. That was scary! The other thing was that the rubber molding in the rear wheel well fell off. It needs more behind the seats pockets for holding goodies. The glove box never shuts on the first try.

I love the heated seats and titanium design. Overall I am very pleased. It even made it through a hail storm with no dents! Good stereo too.

Turn off the safety bell after 5 rings. More seat storage pockets. Bigger glove box or redesign of one. Better fuel economy.

Very good wagon
By Andrew

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel mileage varies depending on whether I'm driving (31 mpg) or my wife (24 mpg). No problems after 10 months of ownership. RPM at highway speeds seems high (approx. 3000 rpm at 65). This results in noticeable noise at higher speeds and lower fuel economy. Protenza RE92 tires receive poor ratings by consumers on tirerack.com. Especially for winter conditions. People who live where it snows should consider buying better tires for winter. Save the Protenzas for the summer. Stability control should be offered as an option. Although I feel the 168hp motor is adequate, Subaru should offer a 180-200hp motor in addition to the 168 and 250. Shifter is stiff in cold weather. Great car in general.

Fuel mileage, space, safety, looks, dependability, all wheel drive.

200 hp motor option (something between 168 hp and 250 motor) 2) Subaru needs to offer stability control 3) possibly higher gearing for highway driving. 4) better standard tires. 5) offer a towing package. -- not much else.

6 Months of Love.
By Luv our RU

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this car back in November of '04. She traded her Saturn, which was great car for us. You always have buyer's remorse on a major purchase. We did not have that here! We have had our car for 6 months now and absolutely love the overall quality, ride, and comfort of our Subaru. I would totally recommend this car to anyone looking for a wagon. We looked at CR-V and Passat (wagon & sedan). We made the absolute right decision.

Heated Seats! This will be must from now on. Trip computer is nice feature. Fold down seats for greater cargo. Quality of the ride, especially on the highway. Overall we love this car!

Needs a little more pick up in base model with automatic. If no improvement in power, then car needs to get better milage on highway. We get about 22 city and 27 highway. Better power outlet placement.

Not for Tall People
By Gary

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 5'11." I am tired of leaning forward because the steering wheel doen't telescope. My feet (size 11.5) barely have enough room as a driver and no room as a passenger. The front seats are too hard and a little too small. Brakes are not powerful enough, can be scary at times. Regular mode of transmission is uncooperative. Cannot drive with windows open because of poor buffeting. Handles great. Fantastic turning circle. Quiet. MPG not great around town, but good on highway. Average 20.7 over 10,000 miles.

Turning circle, handling, AWD, stereo, visibility, DRL's, large sunroof, heated mirrors, seats, dash design.

Telescoping wheel! Stronger brakes, more cooperative transmission, more room for feet, move the seat heater switches and make the console bigger, make the front interior lights go on when the door is open, base engine needs a little more power.

Fantastic Car
By socalh2oskier

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned my '05 XT Limited (auto transmission) since Oct. '04. I now have just over 7,000 miles. This car is great! There is some turbo lag, but if you purchase a Cobb Tuning Accessport and remap the ECU, most of the lag disappears and the car is much more linear in power delivery (and gains an extra 30 hp)--definitely worth the $645. I have owned many fine autos--Acura, Lexus, BMW, Jaguar--this Subaru is the best for the money--the interior is classy and comfy--the car is fun to drive, and is one of the more versatile and safe vehicles on the road. Buy it--you will not regret it!

Interior, smooth turbo power (even better since adding the Cobb AccessPort).

Brakes are merely adequate--should be better in my opinion--gas mileage is poor--15 mpg city and 25 mpg hwy. Suspension could be a tad more firm to eliminate substantial body roll.