Used 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 258 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Not for Tall People
By Gary

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 5'11." I am tired of leaning forward because the steering wheel doen't telescope. My feet (size 11.5) barely have enough room as a driver and no room as a passenger. The front seats are too hard and a little too small. Brakes are not powerful enough, can be scary at times. Regular mode of transmission is uncooperative. Cannot drive with windows open because of poor buffeting. Handles great. Fantastic turning circle. Quiet. MPG not great around town, but good on highway. Average 20.7 over 10,000 miles.

Turning circle, handling, AWD, stereo, visibility, DRL's, large sunroof, heated mirrors, seats, dash design.

Telescoping wheel! Stronger brakes, more cooperative transmission, more room for feet, move the seat heater switches and make the console bigger, make the front interior lights go on when the door is open, base engine needs a little more power.

Fantastic Car
By socalh2oskier

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned my '05 XT Limited (auto transmission) since Oct. '04. I now have just over 7,000 miles. This car is great! There is some turbo lag, but if you purchase a Cobb Tuning Accessport and remap the ECU, most of the lag disappears and the car is much more linear in power delivery (and gains an extra 30 hp)--definitely worth the $645. I have owned many fine autos--Acura, Lexus, BMW, Jaguar--this Subaru is the best for the money--the interior is classy and comfy--the car is fun to drive, and is one of the more versatile and safe vehicles on the road. Buy it--you will not regret it!

Interior, smooth turbo power (even better since adding the Cobb AccessPort).

Brakes are merely adequate--should be better in my opinion--gas mileage is poor--15 mpg city and 25 mpg hwy. Suspension could be a tad more firm to eliminate substantial body roll.

Great Car
By Alaire

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love driving this car! This is the second Subaru for my family. The AWD is great for winter driving and the heated seats are a true joy when it is cold out. No matter what I would buy this car again. No question about that!

Heated Seats. Sport Shift Mode. All Wheel Drive.

Needs a jack for the Apple iPod or any other mp3 player. It would be nice if the fuel economy was better.

Sweet Ride.
By Mood Swing

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We just got it, and we already love it. It doesn't have the turbo, which I wanted, but it's got plenty of power. Handles real nice, and is comfortable. We love the moon roof! It makes us feel like we are in something that costs a lot more than what we paid.

Moon roof! Interior, dual controls on the heat/AC. Stereo is nice too. I love the lights in the car at night. Looks like I'm in the cockpit of a jet fighter.

MP3 availability. Satellite Radio. Tinted windows (had it done). Button to open the rear hatch in the car.

lovely to look at lovely to drive
By c.j. taylor

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A fine car, thoughtful and energetic. Not too bad on gas and really sure footed on any surface.

Accelerates and stays where I put it.

More cavities and bins inside for 'stuff'. A bit higher up on the road.