Used 2004 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Excellent performance and comfort
By Jazzcat423

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. I wish I had gotten it years ago.

Love the AWD, the comfort for the driver (adjustable seat etc.) and handling of the vehicle.

Placement of cup holder for driver should be front accessible.

No Reason To Buy High-End
By Jim

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The functionality of the Outback is great -- hauling bikes; moving friends; loading up my band gear. It does this well while remaining a practical urban car (read: easy to park). However, the VDC has failed 5 times -- each time while in the Sierras during a snow fall! Isn't that when I would most need it? Also, McIntosh has failed twice (radio reception is horrible). The two reasons for why I bought the upgraded Outback are both failing ... why did I spend that money?

Nothing is outstanding. Good, functional car, and the H6 has good power (odd transmission), but the H6 can be bought for less than you'd spend on a VDC.

A high-end stereo that won't fail every 10 months. Vehicle dynamics that work in SNOW! A dealer service department that can correctly reattach a dashboard ... maybe I'm being picky?

Good but Not Exciting
By christy

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is a decent car. It performs very well in snow -- better than our 4x4 rig. It is, well, just boring. But it is good.

Heated leather seats.

Tighter turning, more power.

Subarules
By Long Hot Summer Days

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Outback. They are the most reliable cars. They are very versatile; you can haul the wife and 3 kids or drop the back seat and move desks, filing cabinets, etc. They are very desirable. Buy in the spring and sell at the first snow fall.

Heated windshield under the wiper blades.

Move the heated seat control; can get hit with a coffee cup.

I'll buy another
By Steve

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first Outback will not be my last. We love it. Well built, good performance, great styling, and excellent integrity of body. I do not like the padding in the seats; too thin with not enough support. I am 6' tall and 155 pounds so that is not an issue. Also, we have had the fuel door freeze shut numerous times. That being said, I can find no other things that I do not like. We have the 4 liter H6 and it is very responsive. Thus far, it has been fault free and if it continues, as I think it should, we will have the car we have been looking for. Subaru has done it for us.

Body style, quality and feel of strength of systems. Solid and dependable. Everything seems well built.

Front seat padding is too thin and uncomfortable. Fuel door has frozen shut too many times.