Used 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

overall great vehicle
By Light

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru has proven again to be a terrific car in all the most important levels. Interior design is still in the works (this being our second Outback over the last six years). The driving safety and ease we rate the highest. This car has prevented accidents and is a great bad weather car. We take it off road and it is amazing. It is easy to maintain and has been totally reliable. We love the looks and feel of our Legacy Outback. We will remain loyal Subaru owners. The driver's and forward passenger windows are noisy(wind type noise), with was the case with our first Subaru also. They maybe able to be adjusted. Other than that, we are totally and utterly happy with this car

SAFETY, HANDLING, and EASE of driving and maintenance. We love the heated seats as a comfort factor. Our car has nearly driven itself on some car trips of over 1,000 miles. We can't say enough about how much we love our Legacy Outback.

The cup holders and their placement are a big improvement over our 2000 model. We would suggest the forward roll down window design be reviewed. Both our 2000 and 2003 models have developed window noises while driving. PLEASE someone address this issue this makes trips not nearly as peaceful.

Like my Outback
By J. Coulter

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been really pleased with my Outback in general. The only problem I have had with driving it is going up moderate hills. A lot of my driving takes place in the lower Sierra foothills, usually less that 1200 ft, and the car seems reluctant to climb even small grades, at one point, even bucking a bit. The dealer told me I was lucky I had a 6 cylinder. and that Subarus didn't like hills. Structurally, it is made with a kind of depression in the lower part of each front door. A number of people have pointed out to me that I have been "hit." Looked that way to me too, before I realized that the car was that way on both sides.

Like the dashboard and interior. Like its overall dependability.

Rev up its' hill climbing ability, and get rid of the depressions in the door.

I LOVE THIS CAR, best one I have ever had
By Patterson

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never knew what it was like to LOVE a car until I got my wagon. I will probably never own another type of car but a Subaru Outback. It is the perfect size for about ANYTHING. It is reliable, is great for short or long trips. The gas mileage is good even with the rising costs. This is coming from someone that drives an hour each way to work everyday. So I spend TONS of time in my wagon.

The flexibility of the design and the comfort. I can use it for hauling kayaks, but also tone it down and use it for work. And for my hour commute to work, my back never hurts.

A HYBRID! :)

Best car I ever owned in 50 years
By panda

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid road car. Great engine, quiet, very good handling, brakes and steering wheel response. Great road shock absorption. Transmission very smooth. The car is tight at the shoulders and could be a little wider. The steering wheel needs to be adjusted higher to clear my knees.

Six cylinder engine performance at highway speed is terrific. Solid road feel is very good and quiet.

Steering wheel needs greater upward travel to clear knees. Wider seats and seating area (1" each seat; my wife and I are 6' tall). Better radio reception/speakers. Needed to have both front door insulation replaced due to loud wind noise from windows.

Subaru Stalls
By John Sauer

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Almost from the day I took my Subaru home I have had problems. The car has poor and erratic idle, loses power while driving and stalls. Subaru (several dealerships) has attempted repairs, replacing MANY parts, over the three years I have had this car. Each time the problems resurface. Low idle, power loss, stalling at stops. I am past my 36,000 warranty and Subaru has committed to honor the warranty for existing problems, but that is little consolation as I have to continue living with a $32,000 car that I do not trust. On more than one occasion I was almost stranded on long trips with wife and baby.

Dual sun roof is nice.

Performance from the H6 engine is not what is should be. The loss of power and stalling is frustration beyond words.