Used 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

OMG OMG Giddy I am
By BURU CUBBY

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got this 02/09. I can only say OMG! Never had a Subaru before... I got 2 independent mechanics I keep, they said GET IT. It's a steal!! Had 79986 on it, 1 owner, is fave color green, it's got things I didn't think a car would dare have. I need it for the Chicago winters!! I'm in luuuvv!! I can NEVER drive an American made car again. Love passing by storefronts with windows & seeing it. I'm still in awe. The dual sunroofs are the bomb!! From what I hear these things just don't break down. I need that security driving alone a lot. The salesman thought I was gonna pass out from jumping around when he showed it to me (0: My Buru is all I could ever ask for. Everything is a perfect 10!!

Dual sunroof, sound system, power seats, cup holders, fold in mirrors, AWD, 16" rims, green color, leather, heated mirrors/windshield, aggressive mac truck sound, L.L. Bean badging, transmission, heated seats, 2 storage units, hold on handles above doors and the alarm totally rocks!!! Little fixing!!

Get rid of the wind noise outside, and better fuel economy would be nice for the 6 cylinder range. Otherwise it's put together better than any American car I've EVER owned.

So so....
By d.c.meyers

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used, with 9500 miles... the dealer failed to ensure proper alignment.. back in it went... biggest disappointment, the mileage, averaging about 20mpg, on PREMIUM gas... I was not forewarned that this 2.5l '4' would knock like crazy without higher octane gas... otherwise I would NOT have purchased... also had major piston repair, thank god for the extended warranty, almost 1800 bucks of damage... note that the car has been meticulously cared for...

all wheel drive, relatively comfortable ride at all speeds... good steering feel..

improved body integrity, finally subaru has gotten the message in losing the frameless windows... I've had repairs to the front 2 windows due to excessive wind noise and infiltration.... ugh!!!

Improve MPG and Wind Noise
By Curtis Culwell

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Subaru used in 2004. I have been extremely pleased with its handling and performance. However, its mileage is abysmal. I got a SCAN II computer and began hypermiling last April, and started to see decent numbers (30-31+) but with a lot of effort. Then I noticed winter temps and (I've read) winter fuel mix REALLY brought numbers down, to around 23+. Also that wind noise is a nuisance. By just tapping the switch a bit I've achieved prompt, temporary relief. Buy this car for snow and ice, but for warmer climes, a lighter FWD car might be better.

Performance, fun to drive.

Improve MPG

It's been really good to me
By Velella

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am at 167,000 miles with synthetic oil and it is still clear and engine is going strong. Average 22 MPG in Los Angeles with mixed freeway and street and some offroad. Only failure was an air conditioning hose. Michelin Hydroedge replacements went 105,000 miles. The interior shows little wear and leather seats are still in great shape. Put on new tires and intend to keep it going until it dies... and then I might rebuild the motor and keep on.

Solid reliability with a car that can go almost anywhere in comfort and safety with decent mileage. Not a race car but not a slug either.

Transmission, while reliable seems to chase the right gear too often. I find myself using the manual option to downshift as to be in the best gear for the conditions.

Luv our sube!
By Drifter

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Knock on wood, car has been good to us. 2.5 4-cyl has plenty of pop. I've found a good (ex) Subaru mechanic who has his own shop. I don't need him much. Passenger side CV joint boot let go @ 60,000 miles. You know when it's gone, grease drips on the cat and you can smell it burning. Its adjacent to the exh sys so heat breaks it down over time. My mechanic also says I can look fwd to head gasket leak @ 100k miles. This is because of the Boxer flat design, it stresses the head bolts. All in all, he says the 4 cyl is solid, but the 6 cyl is usually $$ trouble after 100k miles. Wind noise was an issue, common problem, he tweaked the front window corner piece with screw driver.

Rear cargo room, lots of standard features, comfortable heated seats. Heated mirrors. Smooth engine and drive train. Wide wheel base is very stable.

Not well suited to tall people (6'3") especially if back seat is down for cargo. Mileage is OK (avg 24), but no complaint, this is a solid and fairly heavy car.