Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

My subaru
By seabeewife

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. Handles awesomely in the rain, snow, ice and dry pavement. I can't think of a better car I would want to own.

Solid reliable wagon
By Bgor

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The LL Bean edition is a great looking station wagon. Solid drive train. Needed brakes after 40K miles, and the heated seats are lukewarm. All other mfgr promises were delivered! Great value, and the 4-wheel drive works in all weather.

Dual moon roof. All wheel drive in snow is a pleasure.

Not very reliable
By Dakota Joe

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our vehicle new in the summer of 2002. Except for a lack of front-seat passenger leg room it is a fairly comfortable car. Performance is good and with good snow tires it is an amazingly good winter/snowy road vehicle. Furthermore, no trim pieces have fallen off or broken and the build quality seems pretty good. Our problem has been with vehicle reliability. We live in rural North Dakota and out here vehicle breakdowns can be downright life threatening. The Outback will leave you on the side of the road and it will leave you there often. During the 4.5 years we’ve had the Subaru it has broken and undriveable at least 10 times.

Great snowy road performance. Great dealer service. They always fix it.

Improve the quality of the parts. There in no excuse for a ball joint that wears out at 60,000 miles.

Outback VDC H6 wagon
By FRM

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always admired Subaru for their AWD which fascinated me back in the 70s. Finally I bought one and it had the McIntosh promo stereo CD player. This stereo has rekindled my love for music as I had forgotten what beautiful music sounds like. The special sound design of the interior contributed to the greatness of the stereo. I have since listened to other systems in more expensive cars that cannot compare. The car has power with the 212hp 6 and is quiet probably because of the special sound treatment mentioned already. I have not had problems at all and the AWD can go through snow like it is not there. Ice is tough for any car. The only con is wind noise but I am well satisfied.

Reliability; Wagon aspect - ability to haul things - it's almost like having a pickup too. Power of six cylinder. Sound system; nice interior; nice handling does not feel "loose" or sloppy.

The only thing Subaru failed on is wind noise. Too bad as the car would have been perfect. My previous cars were Saturn S Wagon and Honda Accord sedan.

Look elsewhere
By folledOnce

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At first I thought that dealer(s) were the problem, but car proved me wrong. Everything was a problem. There is no dealer service in NJ and corporate culture is basic arrogance. The car proved to be completely unreliable. I changed oil myself and performed all recommended maintenance, but car started overheating after 38K miles (guess what the warranty period is?). The fact that it was engine overheating and it is theoretically has a warranty for 5 years or 60,000 did not change the fact that I paid for the changing of relays and electrical components on the engine ($400). Brakes: first time changed at 8,000 miles at the dealer. The second time I shelled $400 out of pocket.

All wheel drive: works OK in a winter.

The paint is vintage '50s: peeled off the bumpers after 18 months. Exhaust: dealer explained that it was stainless steal and should not corrode, which was proof that it was defective. I could not pass inspection with it. Local mechanic soldered it and slapped on an inspection sticker.