Used 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Too many problems
By StrictlyMediocre

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have 122,000 on the car. I plan to keep it until 250,000 if it will last. I am on my 4th set of replacement head gaskets (5 sets total). After the dealer did the first 4 HG jobs, I found a mechanic who says "use the turbo head gasket, it will never leak again." Question: why doesn't the dealer do that? Also replaced the pistons at 122K because originals had seized rings and were so noisy I couldn't hear myself think on a cold day. Now using 3rd party pistons as well. Car handles great. Reset the "learning" engine computer for better performance. Wind noise in driver/pass. window can be fixed by squeezing molding together where side mirror is mounted. This will probably be my last Subie.

4WD. Handles well in all conditions, when you have the right tires.

Make the engine more reliable. The pancake design is lousy for reliability, but good for low center-of- gravity. There ought to be a way to get the best of both worlds.

Worst car we have ever owned
By Nancy

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have gone through brakes like someone goes through socks - not kidding. At 120,000 we had to replace the head gaskets and at that time they said we need new valves. At 130,000 we had to replace both catalytic converters. We can't sell the car without acknowledging the valve problem so I feel we are stuck with it. We will have a completely new car before long and I wonder how long these parts will last. Going online it is evident that some of these problems are ongoing. Subaru has to know and they are not backing their product. Thousands of dollars later we are STUCK! We would NEVER buy another Subaru.

Handling in the snow and turning radius

How about acknowledging when there are problems and backing their product.

Not a reliable engine
By Baxter

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't expect this vehicle to last and last. I've had two of these and the first the engine ate itself at 125K. Head gasket blew on the highway. I thought it was a fluke so I bought another. Replaced three head gaskets in this one and the engine ate itself because of a blown head gasket at 175K. Probably spent over $3K on this problem. They go through everything but this engine has a major design flaw with their head gaskets. If your leaking oil REPLACE THE HEAD GASKET! $700 plus repair.

Goes through all kinds of weather.

Fix the head gasket problem!

Great Car
By larry

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very happy with this car. Excellent build quality, pick up and handling. Very reliable and with snow tires, unstoppable. Winter package especially appreciated. Excellent cabin comfort and cargo capacity. This is our second Subaru and the ownership experience has been pleasant for both. Only nits are the crappy front sunroof and the climate control system is annoying. we have 60K trouble free miles so far. We opted for a new CRV this round but will keep an eye on Subaru when we sell this beast in a few years

Acceleration, handling, sound system, AWD and cargo capacity

Pollution control system has solenoids that are very expensive to diagnose and repair. Platinum S Plugs are very expensive to replace!!!!!

My 2nd Subie
By schmidie

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my 2002 Subaru Outback after trading in my older 1994 Legacy wagon. I wanted another, newer version of the car I had loved to drive for years. I ended up getting the Limited version of my Outback, with leather seats, steering wheel, and shifter. The seats, outside mirrors are both heated, and the car comes with important saftey features like ABS, airbags for driver and passenger, daytime running lights, and of course AWD.

The things I like so far are how the dashboard has been updated since my old Subie, digital odometer, outside temperature gague, better stereo system, easier to clean seats and the wood trim around the dash.

The car is slower out of the starting gate, due to more weight for the engine to overcome.