Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Honda - Next Time
By Ex-Coloradian

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

OK, I am not a car person. Had an Accord for about 10 years then wanted a larger (similarly reliable) car that could handle snow, etc. Bought an 02 Subaru Outback in 03. Last year at roughly 70,000 miles, I had to put $2,700 in it - head gasket (engine overheating) and miscellaneous maintenance. This winter was cold, and then I got the overpowering gasoline smell in the car on cold days - apparently another known problem. I basically love the car (style, size, driving) but will drive this until it costs me too much not too. Shame on Subaru for not fixing known problems - (head gasket and fuel stink in cold weather), I would not recommend it nor will I buy one again.

handling, size, style

Fix known potential problems

Good, but...
By BT Roseville

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With the exception of the lack of interior legroom front and rear, wind noise and engine issues, this is a good car ;). I had no problems for the first 30,000 miles. I had an independent dealer replace the coolant and my problems started. A small coolant leak developed. The dealer put in the Subaru coolant conditioner and told me that it should be fixed. A couple of months later, there was a big puff of steam from under the hood. The driver's side head gasket was replaced at less than 60,000 miles. No problems until about 80,000 miles. This time an oil and coolant leak from the passenger side - head gasket and cam seal. Out of warranty and out of luck. Likely my last Subaru.

AWD, heated front seats, side mirrors

Better mileage, more legroom, fix the wind noise (which I was told was fixed in the 2010 model), improve engine quality.

Head Gaskets, Catalytic Converters
By a20366

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car that we have ever owned. We have replaced the head gaskets, catalytic converters and constantly have brake problems - primarily warped rotors. They say we need new valves now. We have taken care of this car and we have 130,000 on it. Subaru obviously has problems which they refuse to stand behind. We would never buy another one and just hope we can sell this one.

Handles well in the snow. Turning radius.

Subaru should stand behind their product.

Great car until it hit 100k miles
By bartemaeus

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Up until the 100k mark, the car was flawless. But after that it went downhill. The transmission leaked and cost $2k to fix, the belt broke at least twice, belt pulleys had to be replaced twice, and the A/C compressor died. That was the final straw and we traded it in. I had hoped I would get a few more thousand miles out of the car. It was still a great car to drive, smooth on the highway, and never got stuck in snow.

Heated mirrors and heated wipers. Very stable on the road.

Improve reliability, reduce cabin wind/road noise, improve gas mileage.

Hypermiling My Subaru Outback
By Greg Gorgeous

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I first test drove a 1997 Subaru Outback Wagon and found the smooth ride uncanny since we also owned a Lexus LS 400. I finally purchased a 2002 Outback Loaded. The Automatic Transmission is smooth and lends itself to Hypermiling... use of Neutral position when coasting when approaching Lights, on Descending Grades etc. Re-engages Drive effortlessly and smoothly. Attained approx 35.8 MPG with room for lots of improvement. The Ride is excellent and Acceleration is brisk. My next Outback will probably be Turbo Charged or Hybrid when avail.

Auto Transmission for Hypermiling, Handles Snow Like a Dream. Smooth 4 Cyl Engine and Great Gas Mileage. Love that Outback Ride.

Six Speed Auto Transmission, Hybrid Technology, or Shut off Gas Engine at Red Lights. Six Speed Engine that Shuts down Cylinders at Speeds over 50. More Cup Holders, Double Wishbone Suspension ala Honda for Improved Handling and Quick Maneuvering.