Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

2001 Outback
By Doug

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback was our first "new" car, and we can certainly afford anything. This car has been completely troublefree, aside from the cupholder in the back seat that my kids stepped on (and broke). There is a lingering concern regarding head gaskets with the 2.5 engine. We have had no trouble at all. I do not know what incidence exists for these engines. We have a Subaru fanatic nearby who will change both sides for about $1500. Would I buy again? You bet - in fact, we're shopping right now for a Forester for her, so that I can start driving the '01 Outback - my '91 Loyale has 209k on it, and running fine but a bit of an embarrassment in this neighborhood.

Gas mileage.

Still some work to do on the "hillholder", but it's a minor irritation.

LL Bean Outback
By cc

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my LL Bean Outback. It's 2 toned which makes it look like a small SUV. The 6 cylinders give me plenty of get up and go. It has and excellently smooth ride and gets fairly good mileage on the highway, not quite as good in city driving. It has loads of room to pack and haul things. I would buy a new one today but Subarus last forever. At 50,000 miles all I needed was fluids checked and an oil change.

Loads of room to haul things and extremely comfortable ride.

I would recommend that the bottom of the back seat fold up towards the front seat (like the old Chevy Citation) to provide a flat hauling surface. Also if you could turn off the passenger front air bag. (I travel with a small dog.) Front moon roof should slide open all the way, not just raise.

Best Sport Utility Ever!
By Christina

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I researched for about a year before I made my purchase. I am now and always will be a Subaru owner. I try and sell people I know and don't know on these cars. I've never had any major problems. This car has the best fuel economy, it's comfy, it's luxurious. I drove it in Washington in the snow every winter without getting stuck once ... I'm a snowboarder! Now I'm in Atlanta and it drives so wonderfully in the pouring rain. I feel very confident that my car and I will make it through just about anything.

All wheel drive. Its stance & height off the ground. Durable interior. Hatch back. Ability to fold the back seats down flat when needed with ease. The roof rack. Heated windshield wipers, even in Atlanta, they make life a lot easier. Heated side mirrors. Heated seats, especially great for long trips!

AC vents to the back seats. Heated back seats. Navigation. HID headlights Standard tinted windows. Side window de-foggers.

Great Cruiser
By slivka

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car is a great freeway cruiser. The engine is very smooth and quiet. At freeway speeds RPMs are well bellow 3000. Little wind noise does get in (especially around window seals) and rear differential whines a bit at around 70mph, but overall the cabin stays quiet. Soft suspension and raised ground clearance make Outback a comfy ride when the pavement ends. Lazy automatic, on the other hand, kills performance and makes it hard to control the car at slow speeds when “off-roading”.

Horrible 4-speed auto. It does shift smoothly and does not gear-hunt. But the gears are too widely spaced and too tall. It absolutely kill the performance that 212hp H6 provides. Up-shifts come way too early, while down-shift do not happen unless floored. I bet the manual H4 outperforms the auto H6!

Summit County Subaru
By zlmtb

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Subaru wagon. It's been very reliable during the 4.5 years I've owned it. The only non-scheduled maintenance item I've had to perform was the replacement of a malfunctioning anti knock sensor. At 70k the engine is not as strong as it was at first, but still runs strong. Both my previous wagons (GL and Loyale) were purchased used at about 90k and driven to 160k. With regular maintenance Subaru wagons will serve you a long time. They get good gas mileage too; 26-28 mpg on my current Outback wagon. There's plenty of space to haul cargo and luggage too. Don't hesitate to buy one!

AWD is great in the snow. Heated seats are the best in cold weather.

The passenger side visor bumps into the auto dimming mirror: make the visor smaller! The driver's seat is uncomfortable on long trips. It needs to be upgraded. The front end develops a shimmy from disc rotor wear after a couple of years: this is consistent on all 3 wagons I've owned.