Used 2000 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

So far so good
By mark york,pa

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought car new in 2000. Have 203k miles Passed down to college daughter. We had an infrequent problem with intermittent stalling and CEL. This had been occurring since new but could not solve the issue. Codes indicated MAP Sensor and replaced with used one for $50. Did NOT solve problem. Did an ECM reprogram for $90 at dealership and fixed problem! We do regular maint and car has been great. Great value, pretty good gas mileage but most importantly safe and reliable. Desirable combination. Would recommend you find a well kept one and go buy it!

Enjoy premium sound with sub woofer. Road steering feel is good. Easy tp get comfortable in front seats - tight for rear

Brakes are a bit light - not a problem once you adjust

Love/hate
By brenda

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall same issues most have had with this vehicle. Head gasket went at 90k, check engine light always coming on. Oxygen sensor, at 165k tensioner on timing belt went out. Basically had to rebuild the engine. New alternator and ac. Have had several thousand $$ worth of repairs. A lot of wind noise on the hwy. On the plus side, awd is awesome, only limited by the clearance. Really like the look of the car. I loved the vehicles performance overall but disappointed with the amt of $$ I had to shell out on repairs. Wish Subaru would fix some of the mechanical issues as I probably will not buy another Subaru unless some assurance that these common problems have been resolved.

AWD and exterior design. Heated seats.

Correct the head gasket problem. My mechanic could not believe how thin the head gasket was. Better seals on the door and window to cut down on hwy noise

Great Car!
By great car!!

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car for many years and it has been a great car. Sure it is underpowered compared to new cars out there but the Fuel eco is pretty good. Handles great in the snow. Now has 112K and had to replace a leaking header but thats expected with this many miles. Comfort is good and I have taken this thing on some pretty hairy dirt roads and it really does well. The look of the car really seems like its timeless.

Solid Vehicle
By jkwcivil

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used in September '09 with approximately 41,000 miles. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles in different conditions, including ice and mud, and I've found this to be a solid and reliable vehicle. It has the four cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg with 50% highway and 50% in town. I admit that I'm not an aggressive driver. Most others would probably get a lower gas mileage reading. The suspension is very much like an SUV when traveling off-road or over rough pavement. The all wheel drive gives a secure feeling when the roads are slick. I can see why Subarus are popular in northern states.

I like the simplistic design of dashboard (stereo, air conditioning, etc.), the long travel suspension, all wheel drive and the ability to fold the rear seats into a deck that is completely flat.

Much of the improvements that I can think of have been made to the later models. For instance, I wish I could lay one side of the rear seat flat. I cannot due to the lower seat cushion being a solid piece.

Couldn't make it to 100,000 miles!
By Jenster

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car was great in SLC where we bought it, but as soon as we headed east in 2008 the trouble all started. 85000 miles & middle of Iowa and catalytic converter blew and needed replaced. Which we just replaced AGAIN a week ago due to check engine light. The car has 112,000 miles and has had 2 catalytic converters, knock sensor, 2 O2 sensors, and a cracked valve repaired all this to the tune of about $8000 in 18 months. Our Toyota Corolla from 1992 runs better than this car. We bought it based on the great ratings of 200000 or more miles... this won't make it! Back to a Toyota owner after this experience.

Snow Handling.

Better emissions system!!! Less road noise when driving on the highway.