Used 2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Legacy for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

Forget the EPA mileage!

Daniel, 11/29/2015
2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I like the Legacy. (Mine is a 2015, so some of the glitches may have been remedied.) It feels like a heavier, more expensive car than it actually is -- streets ahead of the 2003 Honda Accord I previously owned and as good or better than the 2006 Acura TSC my wife drives. Like the other Subarus I have owned (a 1982 Hatchback and a 2000 Outback) the fit & finish leaves a lot to be desired. The fuel-filler door won't open in freezing weather, which could potentially kill someone living in a climate like mine. (You're driving home at two o'clock in the morning and the only gas station is self-service. What are you going to do, find a rock and smash the fuel-filler door?) If it's seriously cold, I'll trip the fuel-filler door the previous afternoon and drive to the gas station next morning with it ajar. After a year, I'm still waiting for a real fix, rather than FILING DOWN the nubbin that secures it, as the dealer wants to do.) Worse yet, on another sub-zero morning last winter, the car wouldn't start when I came out of the gym. I phoned my genius daughter, who rummaged in my desk and found the valet key, which she speculated would work when the radio chip key didn't -- she was right! Both of these are known flaws (see the Subaru 6th Gen Legacy forums) and there is no real fix. Another serious problem is the gas mileage. 30 mph combined? Forget it! I get 28 mpg in the summer, 23 mpg in the winter, driving country roads at 30-40 mph, typically five miles in one direction. I attribute this to the CVT tranny, which turns over at 1100 rpm in warm weather, 2000 rpm in cold weather (until it gets thoroughly warmed up). Then too our gasoline is adulterated with 10 percent alcohol, unlike the EPA testers'. Finally -- and yes, I know I'm nit picking, but this is a review, right? -- it's almost impossible to read the time on the clock. You must look down at the very bottom of the dashboard, and the size is minimal. (The same is true of the temperature, which is otherwise a nice feature.) By the time your eyes are back on the road, you may have run over the neighbor's dog, or worse yet, the neighbor. Updated at four years and 24K miles: Check Engine Light came on. Expensive, stupid repair for the failure of a sensor supposed to warn if the fuel cap was loose! Fuel filler door was repaired at two years but failed again in third year; now supposedly fixed after three visits to the dealer (who wanted to charge me $150 until I raged a bit). Backup camera passed as okay by dealer even though it fails to show the guidelines at least half the time. I've owned a lot of cars since the 1934 Chevy I bought in June 1953. The 2015 Subaru Legacy has been by far the most troublesome.

6 Time Subaru Owner's Honest Opinion

Swiss, 05/15/2015
2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Well I have had plenty of Subaru vehicles to compare the 2015 Legacy to. I wanted more safety features, the reliability I have grown to expect, comfort, fun, bells and whistles. I did not want leather seats if I could not get them ventilated and I wanted all the newest safety features that might prevent an accident from happening. Eyesight is impressive, blind spot help has already paid for itself, the rear camera with cross traffic indication in any parking lot seems a must when backing out of a busy lot with people walking in both directions and distracted drivers in cars rushing about. The car is comfortable, filled with new technology, fun to drive and decent gas mileage all with AWD Update Nov 2017. Still impressed with this vehicle. It feels poised and solid driving on all roads. It is quiet and refined, the car has given me no problems. MPG can be vary, but driven around 60 on highways the high 30s to low 40s is possible. The car is often referred to as under powered, this has not been an issue for me I have found no issues for my driving style. I do prefer the higher mpg than a lower 0 to 60 time. I find the performance to be great getting on the highway and cruising at all highway speeds. The safety features are amazing I cannot imagine not having them now. Safety and prevention is where this car excels l

BEST MID-SIZED SEDAN FOR ME

ethanallen, 05/26/2015
2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm 72 years old. My 2013 Accord beat me up over the potholed, patched and re-patched local roads. The Legacy glides smoothly over almost all imperfections. The seat and car was comfortable and quiet for a 8 hour trip, only stopping for toilets. Computer said 33.8 MPG then; but I usually average 28 MPG. Car corners like it's on rails. My handicapped wife can get in and out better than the other sedans. For a car that I consider light weight, small, economical, and lower priced, this does everything quite well. No problems at all at 3,000 miles. And the rear windows go all the way down, not half way, like some newer cars. P.S.:: now after 1 1/2 year and 8,000 miles total: The fuel mileage just gets better ( lifetime average is now 31 MPG ). I have no oil consumption problems, like some earlier Subaru's have reported. The CVT transmission is flawless. And the paddle shifter, wherein any gear can be selected and locked in, is useful in slippery snow and ice. This not as good as a manual transmission for deceleration on snow; but close to that, except for 1st gear (which "coasts"). The air conditioner, and climate control, keep us old folks cool on the hottest of days; and cools down quickly after the car "sits", closed up, all day in the sun.

A missed opportunity for Subaru

Dan, 09/09/2015
2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am not sure if I should love or hate this car. At this time I am glad that I only have a three year lease and will not consider a Subaru again. The car overall is an excellent design and there is much to love: The handling on the street is superb in my opinion, visibility is great, and I would not want to miss the Eyesight feature. Fuel economy is good for a 4 wheel drive sedan (depending on how I handle the car, I get in-city from 23mpg to 30mpg). Air conditioning can keep up with southern Arizona. Now, the downsides: The stereo system is a a joke, with a very thin sound - forget hearing any classical music in this car. The system is not up to it; my old Toyota Matrix had a better sound system! The worst, however, is a lot of rattling sound in the car: The plastic cover around the EyeSight vibrates very well with every bump, and my brand new car was worse than my 10 year old Matrix. A trip to the dealer fixed the issue for maybe half a day. I have since put my own felt pads in place to reduce that rattle. Deep behind the instrument console there is a lot of other vibration going on wich resonates with the motor at certain rpms. And overall, after 9 month, a general rattle and squeaking sets in. Since I sold my old Matrix because I was annoyed by its rattling and squeaking, go figure how I think about my new car doing the same. Lastly, I find the front seats not very comfortable on long rides. After about two hours I start getting back pain. This might be an issue of my anatomy, but make sure the seat is good for you. So while I really love the Legacy overall, the rattle, squeaking, and very bad sound system are a deal breaker for me, and I would not buy this car again.

Subaru ups their game

Tony B, 11/09/2015
2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife has been a loyal Subaru fan for years. (When they up sized the Ouback in 2010, she cried. Now she loves her 2013.) Me, not so much. The acceleration and handling were average or below, and their ergonomics were quirky at best. Well the 2015 Legacy is a huge step up in handling - it's really a flat cornering, road hugging machine now, great fun on twisty roads. Acceleration is now above adequate (not stirring by any means, but I ain't 26 anymore). Merging etc. are fine. Gas mileage of 28 is a pleasant surprise (mixed driving). Reliability is as expected for a car with 14,000 on it - no issues. I test drove Accord, Sorrento, Mazda 6 and Maude one or two more. I just felt the driving experience was the best, much to my surprise. I also drove an Audi A4 which is clearly better. But not $15,000 better. Low spot is the infotainment system. Sound is very muddled - maybe the limited, with Harmon Kardon system is with it. Map navigation is bad. Use Google maps. With my new iPhone Bluetooth is reliable and good; was very flaky with my Android. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat.

12345...14