Used 2009 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Highly Underrated Performance Sedan
By Eric D.

2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2009 Legacy 3.0R with nav for almost three months now and I absolutely love it. Its 3.0 V6 is incredibly smooth and quick, the interior (mine is black leather) is gorgeous -it looks like a much more expensive car on the inside- and its exterior styling is unlike other cars. I love that you don't see many Legacys on the road. It makes them somewhat unique. The AWD, 18" rims, Bilstein shocks, paddle shifters, and SI Drive make it a performance sedan. Although it's a four-door, it doesn't feel like one on the inside. It sits low and is narrow. It's the perfect size. I do wish the car had more technology features like an improved nav system, proximity key, HID headlights, etc.

Nav system works well. Harman Kardon stereo sounds great (but read below). Electroluminescent gauges are easy to read. I love the exterior color (diamond gray metallic) and the 18" rims, and of course the AWD. Seat leather is high-end. SI Drive is fun. I have gotten so many compliments on the car!

Update nav screen graphics. Harman Kardon front door speakers cause the plastic door trim to rattle and it's MADDENING. The dealership can't figure out how to fix it. Needs HID lights. More torque. Glove box & vanity mirror lights don't illuminate unless key is on, which is strange.

New Legacy
By John

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My sixth Subaru (79 and 87 wagons, 81 Brat, 95 Legacy, 03 Forester). Still have the Forester and Brat. Just picked up a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited-$21,800-and 2.9% financing. This is a good time to get the 09 models with the new 10's coming in. Initial impressions-firm but sporty ride, seats are hard (but I am coming from a very soft seat in a Ford Explorer), drove smoothly on the 125 mile trip back from the dealer. Nice sound system from the Harmon Karden stereo. Very similar in size to my old 95 Legacy -on the smaller size of the competition but my 6-year old fits fine in the backseat in her booster seat. 22.6mpg on the drive home but that should improve with time.

AWD, stereo, autoclimate control, sunroof, sport-shift transmission, stereo and cruise control on steering wheel, has a sporty look with dual exhaust, wheels, spoiler. Fold down rear seats.

Not a big fan of the red interior lighting-like my Forester better (has green lighting), Lowbeam headlights have a distinct cut off line on the horizon, parking brake intrudes on right leg, No rain channels-with open windows, water dripped in windows while driving

Great Car!
By Ed

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Subaru--2 Legacys and one Outback. This is a company car that I drive daily and put over 40,000 miles on per year. To say the least, they have all been great cars. Zero problems with any of them. Between the 3, I've put over 200,000 miles on these cars-- not too bad. The AWD works great in wet weather. This is a very safe, very stable car. I wish the base engine had a little more spunk and wish the ipod input was on the dash instead of in the console. Other than that, buy one, change the oil every 7,500 miles and drive, drive, drive... Oh, and the gas mileage is great. I average 30+ MPG on the interstate with the cruise set between 75-78.

Styling, safety.

Put the ipod jack on the dash and tweak a little more power out of the base engine.

Suprise!
By Brian

2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

OK, so my clunker died and it was time for new wheels. I am a 35 year old man, and a father. I wanted something fun, sporty, comfy, and fun to drive. And I found it! I could not be happier with my Legacy 3.0R Limited. The car is a rocket, smooth as silk on the road, and is loaded with enough features to keep me busy for the next 6 months figuring them all out. Nav works well, although sometimes takes an odd turn or two. The car is a beauty, and accelerates better than any I have ever driven (and I test drive frequently as I am a car lover). This is a driver's car in every way, and Subaru deserves more street cred after making a machine like this one! I truly look forward to driving.

Interior is stylish and cool. Even the plastic feels and looks high class. Exterior is timeless and simple. My silver car with moonroof will turn heads.

Gas mileage is so-so... 17-20 in city, 25-31 highway... but gauges let you know your consumption and I have actually used these to learn how to drive more efficiently. BLUETOOTH would be nice... not many improvements needed!

Great Choice
By Lou

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Subaru for 1 month and I'm loving it! It handles great and is just a pleasure to drive.

The subtle but very stylish looks. Great stereo. Great handling in inclement weather.

Better gas mileage.