Used 2009 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Love the features, Not so much performance
By mo77

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car 4 yrs. Up until the last few months of ownership, the car did well.
At 90+ miles, it began to have issues.
Interior features are superb. But performance is sub par.
It rolls even with good tires. I suggest getting rid of the stock Yokohama tires.
Acceleration is sluggish, probably due to the outdated 4 speed auto transmission.
Manual auto shift great in snow. Inside, not roomy at all. Even center console was too small. I was fine at 5'2", but my 6'2" husband was not comfortable. Back seat is tight. Trunk room is good.
AWD is its saving grace.

Harmon Kardon stereo (which I truly miss), Homelink, dimming rear view mirrors. Subaru remote start is a must in the Snow belt states.

I traded this car for the 2014 base model with the fog light package and paid extra for remote start. The improvements were made with the new model years: better acceleration, more room. So much improved in performance that I don't miss the bells and whistles of the limited trim level.

Someones trash became my treasure!!
By mista_tee

2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Legacy 3.0R used with 13400 miles.
This is my commuter car.
Its a blast to drive with great acceleration and braking.
I wish there was a little less body roll but overall very sporty ride. Maybe if I upgrade the roll and strut bars.
I love the black cloth and silver trim.
I upgraded to a bluetooth pioneer radio and the factory Harmon Kardon sounds much better than the stock unit not that the stocker is bad.
The gas mileage isnt great but I knew what I was getting into before I bought it.
The back seat is a little tight for adults but we own a SUV if we need to haul passengers.
<br><br>
*Update - 68000k on the clock. Still hanging in there. Replaced the pulleys, battery, shocks, wheels and tires. Still rides great. I gonna drive it until the wheels fall off!!!

Solid sedan
By foggnm

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I sold a new 2012 Mazda3 which I never really fell in love with and purchased this car used with very low mileage as basic transportation. I drive about 5K per year. I wanted something I could transport my bikes and canoe on the roof. Nicely built sedan. Good handling. Not powerful at high speeds, but peppy at low and mid range. Decent trunk space that opens into back seats. Comfortable driver seat. After a 1000 miles of driving no issues, solid feel, and happy with my purchase. Mileage has been 24 city, 29 highway.

All wheel drive. Overall driveability, maneuverability. Fold down rear seats. Trunk space. Sleeper image. Much better reliability than my German car.

Power windows are a bit on the slow side, not sure if this is because they are frameless or just the motors. Needs a little better noise control over suspension.

Very Happy First time Suby Owner
By rjslemm

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 09 SE for about 3.5 months, and have loved every minute of it with 109K on her. Sheila had a minor blip with a blown tranny after a week, but I can almost attribute that to the previous owner. After a fight with the dealer it was fixed for free, with a loaner I hated(2012 Nissan Altima/CVT) Unfortunately Subaru no longer makes the 4 speed auto so I wound up with a 30K tranny, but she still runs and drives like a dream, fun to drive wet and dry, and am moving from PA to OKC before the next winter, so her snow will be limited, but I know she can handle it.

Competitive rarity, Harmon/Kardon sound with the subwoofer, moonroof, well, absolutely love the entire car. The seats are supportive in all the right places and comfortable on long drives, My 5-8 frame has no problem with a "lack of thigh support" some complain about.

Subaru needs to go to a modern 6-speed auto and leave the current CVT out of the equation, but thats irrelevant to the 09.

Excellent all around
By jtanasse

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed 2008 and 2009 Subaru Legacys for several months before purchasing one. I also looked at Honda Civics, Accords, Toyota Camrys and Carollas. I am a very careful buyer, so I was very cautious in my decision. Ultimately, the Legacy was the clear choice. Handling is great, and mileage is better than you would expect. I have gone on two 7-hour road trips and got 34.7 mpg on the first and 35 mpg on the second. Typically, it's around 33 mpg on the highway. This is just as good as the Accord and the Camry. Unlike the Accord and Camry, though, the Legacy has AWD all the time. This is great for winters here in eastern Washington state. I love my Subaru!

The design is beautiful in my opinion. I love that it gets great gas mileage even though it weighs two tons. And, of course, the AWD makes me pray for snow!

In 9 months of driving, I can't think of any improvements needed.