Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great Car that Exceeded my Expectations
By Noel

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT to replace my Audi A4. I was tired of constantly repairing that car at great expense. Now that my car has 16K miles on it, I can report that I have had absolutely no problems with it (aside from a dead battery from my leaving the interior lights on for 4 days). After driving a German car for many years before this I can report that Subaru feels like a German car inside. Great interior. The suspension is nicely sprung and valved but the car does lean in turns more than I like. The engine is truly incredible. The car is faster than my 1980 Porsche 911 track car, which is not bad for a daily driver that included comfort. I would recommend this car!

Engine, engine engine. Exterior styling is very nice. The interior is great looking and very German. Reliability (although compared to an Audi, it doesn't take much).

A sport suspension option (even if it is a dealer installed option). That's it!

Until you can afford your toy
By drjeff

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Ivory Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

For a reasonable price, the Legacy GT is fast enough to be fun, agile enough to be safe, comfortable enough to be a family cruiser, and economical, reliable, and durable enough to be a daily commuter. This car's performance will surprise a lot of sports car owners, but its appearance doesn't attract speeding tickets or thieves. And if all that isn't enough, this car is more stable in bad weather than any SUV I've ever been in. Unless you can count on dry roads, consider all wheel drive; Subaru's AWD system incorporates superior engineering. See for yourself.

Acceleration. Low center of gravity. Superb AWD. Decent fuel efficiency. Well-shaped seats.

Offer optional brakes like those on the STi. Go to a lighter twin-turbo system to eliminate turbo lag. Offer the flat 6-cylinder engine, too.

love it.
By Riley

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really like this car. The interior design is the perfect blend of sporty and classy. It feels upscale but still racy. I would love to see a boost gauge somewhere though. The AWD is great in snow and rain (and grips like crazy on dry pavement!). Only a couple gripes - 25mpg is poor for a midsize sedan, even though it is turbocharged with AWD. Also, the rear seats don't fold down, and it's a little hard to use the power outlet in the dash (folds out). I also would have liked to see an aux audio jack for mp3 players. The car drives like a dream, blows anything else in its class out of the water, and looks great. The transmission really isn't half bad for an autobox.

Turbo performance, styling interior and exterior, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Start-up sequence of gauges is cool, perfect balance of ride and handling, AWD, it's an absolute joy to drive.

Better mpg, aux audio jack, boost gauge, more turbo sound, standard subwoofer, fold-away rear seats. Also, there's a bit of road noise at highway speeds.

Great Value AWD Sedan
By ccny

I tend to be a harsh reviewer so please bear that in mind with the ratings. I reserve "10" for perfection or near to it. That said, the LGT is a great value especially with end of the year incentives. The engine is responsive even with the auto transmission. On highway, it's very smooth and quiet. I tend to drive fast over long stretches of highway for my daily commute so this car is great for a quiet and easy drive. Flex the ankle though and the car really moves. Handling is sharp for a 4 door sedan. I only get 21 MPG on mostly highway driving and cruising at 70 to 80. I've also had some odd rattles but nothing terrible. All in all, great car for the money despite few quirks.

Responsive and smooth engine. Car comes loaded. Moonroof, AWD, auto dual zone climate, sport shift, leather driver and passenger heated seats, heated windshield and mirrors, auto dimming mirror, 6 disc CD, it goes on.

Need audio controls on steering wheel. Diversity antennae rather than staticky mess that's there now. Better fuel economy. Fewer rattles for interior space. Wouldn't mind stability control and slightly stiffer suspension.

Oil change issues
By freogirl

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subarus and I love this car. The interior is pretty sweet, so I wish the exterior would catch up. I think it looks too much like a Ford Contour from the front. But beware - we just had our first routine maintenance done and apparently the car's exhaust opening goes all around the outside of the oil cup, so when the oil is changed, residue gets in the exhaust and the fumes are overwhelming. I'm pregnant and can't drive the car until the smell goes away. The dealership told me its a design flaw that they were (hopefully) going to fix it on later models.

Interior lighting, dual heated seats, smooth, quiet ride.

I'm pretty upset about the oil problem. It will keep me from getting regular oil changes for sure. You can smell the burning oil inside and outside the car when you drive it, so its terribly unpleasant. I don't know how long it will take to dissipate.