Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE
By kellyfolse

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First, I have to say people just don't get it; otherwise Subaru would be selling more than 300,000 vehicles a year in America. My overall opinion, I'll use one of Valvoline's old slogans: people who know buy Subarus! This was my first brand new car purchase. I did painstaking research before purchasing, and I have no regrets! This particular Subaru is the best buy in its class for the money, period. I like the clean, modern exterior styling, the interior is clean, stylish, and comfortable (still with a few annoying quirks that most cars have). The handling is nothing short of impressive. Test driving this car sells it, especially if you test drive it in the rain or snow. Hurry, go now!

AWD, excellent handling. So many features for the money, I sometimes think the Turbo and Limited versions subsidize this so-called base model. The CD stereo (with optional sub) grows on you. It stresses quality sound over blaring volume. The large sunroof is a cool feature for the price!

Lighter steering wheel, a bit more power, although the power/economy ratio is very good; delayed throttle response is annoying at times, but that is in ANY modern vehicle with throttle-by-wire.

Fantastic and sophistocated drive
By Marc

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Would never have thought I would own a Subaru. Just saw this HOT car while out looking at the Mazda 6 on the other side of the lot. My final decision was between the IS300 and this car. The Legacy had more to offer for less money. It's been 6 months and I have 12,000 miles on it. Still drives, looks, sounds and smells like new. I will never be able to buy anything without the AWD. It is also very comforting to know you are in one of the safest vehicles. I would recommend this car to anyone; it is a fit for just about every type of person.

Ultimate control on dry, wet and snowy roads! Quick and can throw you back into your seat pretty well. Inside and out looks are conservative but sporty (HOT). Excited to experience its known reliability. My previous GM lacked this.

Stereo could be upgraded; back seats need to fold down, gas mileage, needs steering wheel controls, auto lights when it gets dark and the nav. system on the manual transmission. Nothing has been found to be annoying and I have been able to be very happy with the car without having the above listings.

2006 Legacy SE Wagon
By DesertEagle

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has to drive a lot for work, so we were looking for a reliable vehicle with some space for the family trips. In 12000 miles, this car has been great. Good luggage capacity, decent gas mileage (26mpg average), good handling, firm but comfortable ride, and AWD. So far not a single problem with it. Love the interior (except for the seats) and the overall build quality of the car. For a wagon, the styling is also very nice. The engine has OK performance, but the 4 speed auto transmission is the weak point. It takes FOREVER to kick down once you floor it. Luckily there is the manumatic feature. Overall, we love the car and would definitely buy it again.

AWD - great on unplowed, snowy roads. HUGE moonroof, good cargo capacity, 17" wheels, bright headlights, quiet interior. Great access to oil filter.

Auto transmission, lack of bass in stereo system (will want subwoofer), hard seats make long trips slightly uncomfortable (even with 8-way power drivers seat).

Great sales and touring vehicle!
By Johnny K

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very comfy for those of us that spend hours in our vehicles. The cloth seats are very cool in the summer. Interior quality is very good. The sunroof is a big plus. My friend has a 3 series and the vehicles look identical - go figure. The exterior styling is fantastic for the price. Gas mileage is also very good with average 30 mpg on trips. I tinted all four windows/rear and it really enhances the vehicle. This vehicle is right in the middle between an econo box and luxury sedan - a great choice at $22K not $32K! Buy it! You will hear "nice car" many times over and feel great about your purchase.

Sound system (I'm buying the factory sub-woofer that goes under the seat), great paint and finish, low profile rims and tires, sunroof, chrome tipped dual exhaust, folding arm rest in back seat folds down to transport ski equipment. Two sets of golf clubs fit in the trunk without a problem.

The engine could use a little more power, but economy rules today. It's okay.

Very fun to drive
By big rob

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Ivory Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love this car, it has character to it. I like that there are not many on the road. It's nice to be the only one in the neighborhood with one. This car gets a lot of lookers.

The boxer engine, all wheel drive. Driver confidence on any surface. Low maintenance cost.

There are no aftermarket kits available for the radio, no aux inputs for I-Pods or mp3 players. No aux amp outputs.