Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Fairly Impressed
By Kip in Boise

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our 06 legacy for 2 years and we're very happy with it, We have a few annoying rattles, and the interior scratches easy, otherwise it drives great and is very fun to drive!

AWD, 5 spd beats out the auto BIG time! Very nice exterior styling upgrade from previous models!

Bigger front seats, they are just a little small to be comfortable on long trips. A nicer sound system, stock is kinda tinny.

2006 Legacy GT automatic w/nav
By fisch

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, Ivory Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I mainly purchased this vehicle because of the availability of all-wheel drive since I live in the state of Maine. It is a fun car to drive, completey different than the 2000 Acura TL that I drove prior to owning this car. It definitely exhibits quite a bit of road noise and and the idle isn't nearly as smooth as my Acura's was. I do have to admit that the acceleration in the sport mode is phenomenal. I am totally unimpressed with the gas mileage and that's while driving conservatively. Reminds me of my old Jeep with a gas hungry V8. You can almost see the gas gauge dropping as you drove.

Acceleration, interior design, leather seats.

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. A better sound system would be nice. I cannot believe that Subaru doesn't have an upgraded premium sound system that competes with Acura, VW, BMW. Front headrests really create a dangerous blindspot because of their size. More aggressive looking front end.

2006 Spec B review
By Todd

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Definitely not worth the extra money for a specB. Subarus are designed by engineers, not by people who actually use the cars on a daily basis. Would I buy another one again? No, with emphasis! Too many annoying and poorly thought out features.

Good safety record

Steering wheel audio controls should skip through preset stations, not search for the next station. Eliminate the constant seat belt chime. Eliminate the "stutter" when accelerating. Make sure everyday drivers test the car before releasing it.

1 Year Review
By Troy

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Subaru a year ago and gave it rave reviews, and I'm here to second the initial review. This car has been outstanding. I have had no problems whatsoever, and like it more each day. The leather still looks phenomenal, and I average around 28 mpg (highway and local combined - about equal parts). My only gripe is that this model year did not have an AUX jack for my iPod and lacked a folding rear seat, both of which have been rectified. Get one, you'll love it.

Still love the 17" rims, interior is very comforting, heated seats are awesome in the winter, large trunk, nothing has gone wrong - at all.

Have been taken care of in newer models (AUX jack and folding rear seat). Would also like to see steering wheel radio controls and Bluetooth, but that's only because I'm lazy.

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE
By kellyfolse

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First, I have to say people just don't get it; otherwise Subaru would be selling more than 300,000 vehicles a year in America. My overall opinion, I'll use one of Valvoline's old slogans: people who know buy Subarus! This was my first brand new car purchase. I did painstaking research before purchasing, and I have no regrets! This particular Subaru is the best buy in its class for the money, period. I like the clean, modern exterior styling, the interior is clean, stylish, and comfortable (still with a few annoying quirks that most cars have). The handling is nothing short of impressive. Test driving this car sells it, especially if you test drive it in the rain or snow. Hurry, go now!

AWD, excellent handling. So many features for the money, I sometimes think the Turbo and Limited versions subsidize this so-called base model. The CD stereo (with optional sub) grows on you. It stresses quality sound over blaring volume. The large sunroof is a cool feature for the price!

Lighter steering wheel, a bit more power, although the power/economy ratio is very good; delayed throttle response is annoying at times, but that is in ANY modern vehicle with throttle-by-wire.