Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Superb All Weather Grand Touring Sedan
By Frank

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 06 Spec.B is superb all weather grand touring car. This car does everything well. The Bilstien suspension is simply amazing. Smooth while cruising and even better on rough roads and/or when driving enthusiastically. The 2.5 turboed boxer engine is powerful with very little turbo lag with a 5 speed manual transmission that is a near perfect match for the huge amount of torque available. I've owned her for 60k miles and I simply love every chance I get to drive her. With winter tires (or aggressive all seasons (the OEM ones are summer performance)), it will go through just about anything. For the money, the Spec.B is the greatest bang for your motoring buck in the automotive world.

Suspension, engine, AWD, nav/info system, looks, interior. Mileage has been 28.2 over the last 5k miles. Excellent for such a powerful AWD vehicle.

More interior storage and a little more oomph from the audio system.

2006 2.5i Limited Edition Legacy Wagon
By Chris Moth

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great family wagon. Very efficient for all wheel drive (30MPGhighway - and even slightly higher at times). Prior to this car we owned a '98 Outback, and an '89 Justy before that. Please bring back the weather radio. We miss that from the Outback! The cockpit is very sporty - but my and my wife's leg runs into the handbrake. It needs to be moved out of the way.

Safety features, latch seats for the kids. Great pickup. Handling: Nice suspension and feeling of control. Fuel economy.

Bring back the wagon, and manufacture some without sunroofs, for taller drivers.

A Great Car
By Jim V

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as a replacement to my 1999 Audi A4. While this car does not drive quite as nice as the A4, the way it drives still "feels" very German. And if this Legacy's reliability remains as solid as reported for all Legacys by Edmunds and other sites - I will continue to be very happy with this vehicle. It gives you almost all the best of higher end German cars with the reliability of a Subaru. It is so fun to drive. My only complaint is the quality of the leather interior. It just seems like the seats are starting to wear already. They don't have the same quality finish as the A4's seats. Other than that, I am a very happy Legacy GT owner.

The throaty turbo boxer engine tied to the tight 5 speed manual gear box. The simple German car-like design of the dashboard. The tight suspension.

Subaru should consider producing a Legacy GT w/out the Turbo engine to improve gas mileage. The quality and workmanship of the leather seats could be improved.

Solid AWD Sedan
By Raffaele

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used 9 months ago with 15k mi's put on about 5k so far. Was looking for good record of safety and reliability. Love the exterior looks, the 17s fit the car great. Interior looks great but rattles and the loose center arm rest isn't useful. Always using Sport mode but power/shifts feel delayed even when the engine roars. Gas mileage was a main concern, seen as low as 18mpg if driven in city/aggressively or as high as 31mpg with mostly highway/conservative driving. Overall averaging above EPA. Solid car but room for improvement.

AWD feels secure in icy/blizzard conditions or downpour rain. Exterior looks great. No problems in any corner. No problems climbing steep hills.

Weak stock sound system. Distortions at any increased bass/treble or past 20+/40 volume. Windnoise leaks through closed windows. Dashboard rattles/speaker rattles. Mpg meter is inaccurate. Fuel economy/performance could be improved perhaps with the 5speed auto w/ overdrive.

Spec. B.
By Roger Wickersham

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was looking at the Audi A3 or A4 and the Cadillac CTS and then I drove the Legacy and knew I'd found the right car. It's beautifully finished with maroon leather seats (I think they call it 'Dark Brick'). My car is the Spec. B version and the handling is the best of any car I've ever owned. Very predictable and agile, but not jarring like my old Trans Am. It's also nice to know it was made in Indiana. I appreciate that. I've been as far as Iowa in the car and really never got tired of the driving.

Build quality is excellent. Driving quality, steering, braking and handling are top notch. The navigation system (which I didn't think I'd use) turns out to be terrific, very helpful on trips both long and short.

I'd like a little better mileage, but this is the most powerful car I've owned so I can't complain too much. It gets about 18-19 mpg in town and 25+ on long trips with the cruise control running things. Before the engine got broken in, it got about 16 mpg in town, but that was only temporary.