Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

New to me Subie
By Ron

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just bought my 05 Legacy GT Limited used. So far it is an amazing car. It's much more fun to drive than my previous car (98 Honda Accord 4cyl). The AWD really inspires confidence when taking corners and all-around driving.

Turbo. The turbo is like a super-magic-fun present at 3k rpms. It brings the car's wild side out for some fun.

Interior space. The car is about the size of my previous accord, but the interior room is much less. Also, having the HVAC and CD/radio integrated into one unit basically kills any chance of aftermarket stereos.

One hot car
By CAinAL

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sub after seeing so many in the mountains of California. I now live in Alabama and I love driving it all year round, but it is definitely a cold weather car! The vents blow warm air so I have to keep the AC on all the time in the spring, summer and fall. The AC has a hard time keeping up with the 100+ degree weather and high humidity. But it handles great in the torrential downpours we get here and I wouldn't trade it.

Great looks, huge sunroof, lots of room to haul stuff.

Connect the front overhead lights to the door open feature so they will come on with the dome lights.

WOW
By Idawg

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 3rd Subaru, and is by far the best to date. I had a 96 outback, then a 2004 Outback 2.5 limited, but this car blows them away. The turbo kicks in quickly, and will give you the tell-tale neck jerk! The interior is such a beautiful hole poked tan leather, you want it at home. I was never a fan of blue cars, but the regal blue looks great with the 17" wheels and lo-pro tires. Huge sunroof! Buy one!!

Turbo, turbo, turbo!!

Legroom is slightly limited in back for long road trips, but not too bad.

Almost perfect
By newyorker

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Almost a year and a half and zero problems. Fast and fun. My second subie, my first turbo. This is not your typical wagon, that's for sure. Handles great, even in winter months. The Bridgestone re92 stock tires are all right - nothing great yet decent all around. Rarely have anyone in back seats so cannot comment on leg room. Dash layout is great and good looking. Tons of room. Can put just about anything in this car. The ride can be a little rough for someone with a bad back on longer trips but it's a GT and is supposed to have a stiff suspension so you cannot complain about things like that. All around A++.

Appearance, versatility, power, fun factor.

6th gear for the highway so it can get better gas mileage. Turbo needs premium. Automatic headlights as I've actually driven home at night w/out the headlights on due to daytimes are bright and the dash is so bright at night w/out headlights actually on.

Disappointing
By mike

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our 2nd Subaru. Our first Subaru was a tank, we loved it, 100K+ and never had a problem. Unfortunately that was not the case with this car. 30k+ should yield better build quality and better service. Dash rattles and the dealer and Subaru will do nothing. The radio has been replaced twice and still does not work correctly. The homelink mirror failed. The gauge illumination changes by itself. Cruise control fails regularly and the dealership(s) can't find anything. This car could be so much better but now that it is has 39000 miles on it and is out of warranty we are getting rid of it. I don't thing we will ever buy anothe Subaru.

Quick sedan.