Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Excellent buy
By mindflayer

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Compared this to the Infiniti G35, Infiniti FX35/45, Volvo S40/60, and so on, and I found this "non-badge" car to be superior. I have a bad back, so comfort was critical, and the car delivered that and performance.

Performance. Comfort. AWD. Did I mention performance?

1) Faux wood. Lacks class. 2) No way to hook up my iPod!

Hate this car
By KC

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this car as an alternative to a "real" car because it was a practical alternative to a gas guzzling SUV or a more expensive Audi or BMW. I thought I needed the wagon for my lifestyle, but I wish I'd bitten the bullet and just went for an Audi, got a bike rack and drove on down the road. This car is NOT fun to drive, although it sounded good on paper.

The sound system.

competent, good looking and inexpensive
By socalsubaru

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looked at a lot of cars, never owned a Subaru before. Checked out the Legacy and was impressed with price, features and looks, not to mention AWD. Have had the car 2000 miles now and I'm pretty satisfied. Average mileage says 24.3 on avg on the onboard computer, handles nice and smooth, nice storage for golf clubs, nice onboard computer and digital compass in rearview mirror; little short in leg room - emergency brake hits thigh and dead pedal is a little short in height (I wear size 11), floormat hook sticks up too far catches my shoe, a/c is weird - will blow ice cold/then not so cold/ice cold/not so cold in a cycle (dealer says this is normal!),

Handling, looks, onboard computer, stereo thumps well (but no hookup for Mp3 player!), nice rear storage.

Fix a/c, auxiliary hookup for stereo, standard center arm rest extension, better cup holder (that won't get blocked by arm rest extension) a little taller dead pedal and larger seat pan for driver. My Maxima had a 3.0 at 225hp and got the same gas mileage.

Good Midsize Surf Wagon
By jone

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

OK car. My 1st Subaru. Not as solid/precise as my 1999 Honda Civic or my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Good gas mileage (avg. 24/25 mpg). Good interior, nice looking, car can be modified easily (springs/sway bars/intake/exhaust/shifter). The engine needs more power, Subaru has that is in the works (Forester gets the upgrade in 2006).

Affordable 5 speed wagon, pleasing interior, Yakima racks fit perfectly on the rails, AWD, sunroof, safety features.

Tires (use Pirelli PZero Nero P225 50R16), radio controls on the steering wheel, a stereo system that actually works well (bad tuner, 2 speakers died already, will have to replace with aftermarket items), more effective fog lamps, better interior bits (net holder popped out, now I can't use nets!).

She's got the power, Scotty!
By Rick Perry

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Oh my! The increased power from the 2.5 liter non-turbo Outback to the Legacy GT 2.5 turbo.Just what I needed to give me the kick in the pants I was looking for. Oh, BTW, I do drive a 3.0 liter BMW X-5 and this Subie is equally as much fun to drive for a heck of a lot less money! Like $22K less? I got one 3 days ago loaded to the limit and with the discount and rebate, I had to buy it and trade in my sluggish Outback with the 2.5 liter regular engine. Glad I did. This one's a keeper!

Comfort, acceleration, build quality, fit, firm suspension, superb handling.

Nothing.