Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Ups and Downs
By jt51

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Fail in love with car at first sight. Fun to drive, handles very well. Love the sound of the engine.

Handling, steering wheel, automatic transmission.

Cheap interior parts painted faux metal; use real metal ditch the fake wood.

WOW! What a car!
By eppharmd

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent handling, good gas mileage, fun to drive , exceptionally comfortable, best car I've ever owned

AWD, side air bags, ABS, compass in rear view mirror, automatic light sensor in rear view mirror automatically adjusts to night headlights, leather seats, front seat warmers, adjustable temperature control for both driver and front passenger, driver's side power seat adjustment.

Vehicle Stability System would be a plus.

Puts a smile on my face!
By James

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After having this car for a little over a month, I can honestly say I enjoy driving again. After 8 years in a 4x4 truck and an SUV, I was looking for something, faster, safer and more fun to drive plus better mpg. My highest mileage so far was 25mpg during break-in which is an improvement but negated a bit by the required premium fuel. MPG drops if you get into the boost much but you will be grinning when you do. Auto transmission shifts very fast. Don't miss the manual. Car looks and handles great. Love the interior. Doors feel very solid. Whole car feels very well engineered. Really no competition at the price point. A grown up WRX.

Turbo, instrumentation, all wheel drive, looks and paint quality,

Auto locking doors, auto up/down for driver and passenger, No MP3 input, delayed power for windows seems an obvious omission. In 2005 is 28-30mpg highway too much to ask and still have 250HP?

Subaru Legacy GT
By Todd F

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

An exceptionally designed car that is a vast improvement over its predecessor. The turbo-charged version gives it a great fun to drive quotient, and its handling is absolutely superb for a family sedan.

Electro-luminescent display and turbo-charged 250 hp motor.

Twin turbo chargers for elimination of "turbo-lag."

The Most Fun Car I've Ever Owned
By DeAnna

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I started shopping for a new car my boss told me that I should try the Legacy. He and his son are car enthusiasts and told me that his son had the Subaru Impreza and loved it. I was planning on either getting a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry so test drove both of them and took my boss's advice and test drove the Legacy. The Accord was so stiff it was killing my back and with the Camry I felt like a was driving a bulky tank. The Legacy was wonderful. The drivers seat is totally comfortable, the displays are really convenient, and the handling on the car is just unbelievable. I have never had so much fun driving a car. I totally feel like I got my money's worth with the Legacy.

My favorite feature on the car is the all wheel drive. I love the way it hugs the road when you go around corners. Also, it has all weather tires, so when it rained a few days after I got it the car just hugged the road. I feel so safe knowing that the car isn't going to hydroplane.

The only thing I think they should improve is the backseat space. My husband is 6 ft. tall and my best friend and her husband are both over 6 ft. tall so when all of us are in the car it is a little cramped.