Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

used to be a Honda fan....key word, used:)
By cole46_51

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is just awesome! My friend has a WRX, and the Legacy GT is the WRX, but with style. Has many luxury features for far less money than you see on other cars like Acura, BMW, Audi. I'm still young, so insurance is a big thing; well I'm sorry, but a 4 banger with a turbo putting' out 250 HP... thats a sports car! But it's not considered one, and because ALL Legacy's have a 5 star crash rating, insurance companys love that and insurance prices are very good. Different story if you get yourself a Mustang or 350Z.

Pretty much everything, there is nothing with the car that wasn't going to keep me from getting it.:) If any concerns or doubts, really, just go test drive one, and you will see for yourself. Go online and go to a dealership with an excellent rating ... trust me, it makes a difference.

Only 2. The stereo was my biggest disappointment. If you are going to make a console that won't except ANY aftermarket decks, then at least have more options for the stereo; mp3 player for starters! Second -- I wasn't able to get a boost gauge, but they offer it for the Forester?!

competent, good looking and inexpensive
By socalsubaru

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looked at a lot of cars, never owned a Subaru before. Checked out the Legacy and was impressed with price, features and looks, not to mention AWD. Have had the car 2000 miles now and I'm pretty satisfied. Average mileage says 24.3 on avg on the onboard computer, handles nice and smooth, nice storage for golf clubs, nice onboard computer and digital compass in rearview mirror; little short in leg room - emergency brake hits thigh and dead pedal is a little short in height (I wear size 11), floormat hook sticks up too far catches my shoe, a/c is weird - will blow ice cold/then not so cold/ice cold/not so cold in a cycle (dealer says this is normal!),

Handling, looks, onboard computer, stereo thumps well (but no hookup for Mp3 player!), nice rear storage.

Fix a/c, auxiliary hookup for stereo, standard center arm rest extension, better cup holder (that won't get blocked by arm rest extension) a little taller dead pedal and larger seat pan for driver. My Maxima had a 3.0 at 225hp and got the same gas mileage.

Good Midsize Surf Wagon
By jone

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

OK car. My 1st Subaru. Not as solid/precise as my 1999 Honda Civic or my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Good gas mileage (avg. 24/25 mpg). Good interior, nice looking, car can be modified easily (springs/sway bars/intake/exhaust/shifter). The engine needs more power, Subaru has that is in the works (Forester gets the upgrade in 2006).

Affordable 5 speed wagon, pleasing interior, Yakima racks fit perfectly on the rails, AWD, sunroof, safety features.

Tires (use Pirelli PZero Nero P225 50R16), radio controls on the steering wheel, a stereo system that actually works well (bad tuner, 2 speakers died already, will have to replace with aftermarket items), more effective fog lamps, better interior bits (net holder popped out, now I can't use nets!).

once you owned one
By sherry

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had great experience with my subaru's I feel VERY comfortable, and/confident with the handleing and performance of these cars. I had a 96 subaru, traded it for the 2005 I never had any problems during the time with the 96. Was never in the shop for anything!! Maintenance Free, other than 3,ooo mi.oil changes and I did have the timing belts changes @60,000 for maintenance, it was a gem! So I knew that my new car was going to be another Subaru

performance, it has great speed, I love the option to shift like a manual, or go into sport, for max pulling out speed.I love the interior red lights on the dash, comfortable leg room in front, and the comfortable seats .sound speakers are really nice

I would ask only that it was a better design, it lacks in style. nothing unusual..It seem to just me that it has NO stand out features, If it wasn't for the emblem of Subaru, it would look like many of the competition..

I've never loved a car so much!
By Kitty

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I could not be happier with my new legacy! The car is gorgeous inside and out with a thoughtful design and high end features one would find in a luxury sedan. Some of my favorite features include the moonroof, heated seats, and leather interior. The car handles beautifully. The AWD really grips the road on turns and the car handles like a German sedan with great road feel. The car also has ample power, it accelerates nimbly on the highway and from a stop, especially in sport mode. The cabin is very tight and very quiet, there's no rattling or noise. Overall, I am thrilled with the car and I feel very secure driving it!

AWD!!! moonroof, heated seats, leather interior, power driver's seat and auto dimming mirror/compass

I would like to see an improved gas milage. Mileage isn't bad, and I appreciate that the car uses regular gas, but it would be nice to have a bit more fuel efficiency.