Used 2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Piece of junk, NEVER again
By Mike Kelly

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car seemed like a good purchase when my wife and I moved to a hilly location in NW NY. After putting on $600 snows it was only ok in the snow. Soon after, the car began excessively smoking and subaru of north america was absolutely no help at all. Apparently this is normal in these piece of garbage cars. Now with 120k on the car we have had problems with almost everything- right down to the clear coat starting to peel. I have had many subarus and they all had their problems but nothing near this. Never ever again will I go anywhere near this company and I have absolutely nothing good to say about them. It is unfortunate because I truly believed they produced a good product.

Looks.

Don't shun your customers when there is an obvious problem.

Reliable all-weather performer
By ttran

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine at the tail end of winter in MN. Wish I bought it earlier! This thing plows snow like a champ, especially with the Blizzaks. Truly a vehicle of choice in the winter. Now that it's summer time I'm starting to notice the noise. I don't get any wind noise but the engine and road noise is definitely noticeable. I'm hoping my next set of tires will solve the road noise but I'm not sure what to do about the engine noise. Very buzzy. Handles well but could use more power. I give this a 10 during the winter and a 6.5 for the summer.

AWD rocks. Winter package is great. No mechanical issues.

Turbo charger and a couple more inches of leg room would be nice.

Subarus are over rated
By mr.z

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was very excited when I ordered my Subaru. That all ended after two weeks of ownership thats when the steering started going in and out. I never had a road noise issues it was the wind blowing through the window that never closed proper after two years that I had issue with. That was fixed four times it never lasted more than two weeks. At three years old the car started rusting (body and brake lines), the ABS was no longer working at this point. Maybe I expect to much when I pay $27k car. Last thing I had flat once and the jack broke. I sold this car with over 59k on it.

A fun car that did well in snow with a nice feeling 5 speed.

RUST. So much rust a three year old car should not need major under body repair for rust

Junkie
By wew

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had this subie for 9 months. It blow one head gasket. So I replaced both of them, after 700 miles it cracked a head. The head lights keep burning out. Wind noise is very loud. Its just a junkie car. Rust is coming in on the rear doors buy the seams. I wash and take care of my cars. But after 5 years and 85,000 miles its just junkie. I will never buy a sub again.

AWD is ok but the rearend wants to come around when you step on the gas.

Build a better engine. And cut the price of the parts.

We hate this car! Bring back the '94!
By Dannaca

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I had owned a 94 and loved it. The only thing the 02 has in common with the 94 is the name! It has horrible wind noise, uncomfortable front seats, cramped back seats, bad steering components. I have had more work done to this car than I ever needed in the 94 and it needs more work even now. Also there is no power in the vehicle at all. It is as slow as the Prizm I owned before it but at least I expected that from the Prizm!

AWD, sound system, cruise control (Prizm didn't have that).

Whatever they used to do worked, maybe they are trying to go cheaper, but the new Subaru is a piece of junk. A front seat that didn't make your leg go to sleep after 30 miles would be great, some power wouldn't be a bad thing either, and the ability to turn the wheel! Just little things like that.