Used 2001 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Love It!
By Nick

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm really happy with my 2001 Subaru Legacy L. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and so far (knock on wood) no problems. I'm bringing it in for the 90,000 tune up, so we'll see how it does. I love the way it handles, it really sticks to the road. Gets great gas mileage on long trips across the country. I've had to replace the anti-knock sensor after the check engine light came on. About a $300 job. The Subaru service department is a lot more friendlier and efficient than in the past.

Good speakers, handling, electronics.

Acceleration is a little slow, but I guess that's what you get with a 4 cylinder.

Great Car
By mmb132

2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan in October 2004. I used a 2001 Camry as a trade in and I have NO regrets. This car is spectacular! In winter I feel like I'm driving a tank; the AWD is great. On dry pavement it's like driving a sports car. Anyone who gets into the car is very impressed with the leather interior, the stereo, the roominess of the back seat and the comfortable ride. My only gripe I would say is the gas mileage but, maybe that's because of the AWD? I'm not really sure. Besides that this a great car.

The AWD.

Gas mileage.

Economical, Practical & Fun Family Car
By dadof3

2001 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our Subaru has over 30k miles and stillloving it. We were debating between thewagon or a minivan to haul our 3 kids. We also looked at the Passat wagon.The Passat rode smoother, but the price was way too high for comparable features. We are very satisfied withour choice- great price for what youget, decent gas mileage (compared to theminivan anyway), and enough room for the kids and their stuff- can fit threechild seats across the back row. Recommend a car top carrier for longertrips. Pros: Reliable, safe, fun to drive, andthe awd can't be beat for winter driving(live in WI)Cons: Interior quality could beimproved, gas mileage seems low for a vehicle its size, needs more pep.

great first 'adult' car
By mufasa1023

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 60,000 miles from
a graduating med student and so got an
amazing price. It's a great car and a
nice change from my old ford ranger.
AWD is amazing the engine is peppy
unless the a/c is on then in drags a bit
and has to be punched up a bit to
accelerate. Has no glaring problems.
Windshield does whistle a bit with
crosswinds and it has a strange rattle
noise during low end acceleration
sometimes but still runs perfectly. It
corners like it's on rails .

The AWD and low center of gravity make for fun driving Next time i'll probably opt for the 227 or 250 hp version b/c the 165 is a bit slow when beating someone off the line. 22-28 mpg with an automatic AWD car? beats the snot out of a 14 mpg 2WD ranger that cornered like a bathtub.

There are many options available including the cd player and moonroof and foglights etc. So i guess the windshield noise and cheaper turbo chargers.

Great winter car, has some quirks
By ajc1961

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car for winter
driving in NJ and it was FANTASTIC
considering the brutal winters for
2002-4.

Some quirks I've noticed are the
occasional burning smell coming from
the vents after bad weather driving
(probably an AWD thing) and a
whistling windshield in high
crosswinds when all windows are rolled
up. Neither of these can be addressed
by the dealer, of course. Through
various internet user groups, it seems
these are common Subaru quirks and
although annoying, are mostly sporatic
and shouldn't deter anyone from buying
this car.

AWD is amazing, plain and simple. The car is roomy, I'm 6'4" tall and have pleanty of head room.

the burning smell seems to be a common Subaru complaint, I'd like to see that addressed. I would like to see a full folding rear seat. A section of the rear seat folds down for skis, but not the entire seat, makes it difficult to move large objects.