Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Very good AWD car, but...
By martinjmpr

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback Wagon (OBW) in April of 03 with 42k on it. At the time I was unaware of the dreaded head gasket problem! Mine had the AT and the "Rocky Mountain Edition" package which included heated seats, mirrors and wipers. About that: the only seat heater that worked was the driver's side. As near as I can tell the mirror and windshield wiper "heaters" do absolutely nothing. Either that or mine were broken. Lots of fun to drive, especially on dirt roads - it's fun to play rally racer in this car! Ground clearance is better than average at about 7.5" but this is not an off-roader. Mud can get packed into the driveshaft tunnel. Has a lot of capacity. Good car for the money.

I never had any serious trouble with mine but was always worried about the head gasket, which is why I sold it at 120k. Economy was good at 23 city, 27- 30 highway (AT.) AWD is a blast and worked great in the snow and ice of Wyoming and Colorado. Almost long enough for me to sleep in.

Driver's seat is not comfortable on long trips, padding crushed down. Beware of the dreaded head gasket! Best suggestion is get an 03-up model, you will have no HG problems and you will get the rear limited slip, too (not avail. in '99.) Don't expect seat, mirror or wiper heaters to work.

LOV E IT
By LOVE IT

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Excellent in the snow, great ABS brakes. I wish like others it would take hills better and have better gas mileage. For years I never had problems except brake pads. Now my shifting isn't right. Never rusted and was outside all the time. I got rear ended and not a scratch on my car. Never had to replace the muffler and the car always started in sub zero temps. Sunroof leaks on the passenger side. Love the visibility and the trunk room is awesome.

AWD, ABS, comfort, visibility, trunk space and low maintenance.

Better brakes- higher clearance.

Not Recommended
By Ln

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Several people complain about needing a head gasket. When mine blew, 1000 miles beyond warranty and without warning, I had to replace the entire engine. It sounds as if Subaru should have sent a warning to owners, but they are the least helpful manufacturer that I have ever dealt with. Their dealers are equally unresponsive, and I have yet to find one in our area that I would ever deal with again.

Excellent handling and control in all road situations.

Better fit and finish. I hope that in newer models the window seals no longer ooze in the sun. *Much* better dealership and manufacturer relationship with buyers.

Subaru is not always a reliable car
By clemchan

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1999 Outback wagon. Ever since it reached 65K miles, I have nothing but problems. First was the alternator, then the coil, last week was the blinker and this week is the thermostat.

Good Car with Some Quirks
By JamesRPeters

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Have 110,000 miles on the car and I bought it with 60k on it used. I do all my own work on my cars and I did not really have anything besides routine maintenance until about 103k. At that time the driver side wheel bearing went out and needed to be replaced. Soon after the front crank seal started to leak really bad. I pulled apart the front of the engine and replaced the seal, timing belt because it was due, coolant, belts, hoses, and the water pump ($60 insurance). The oil leak caused quite a bit of smoke for a small leak. Now the front seal is fixed but one of the valve covers has a leak as well as the oil pan, which are all rather close to the exhaust resulting in a slight smell.

Excellent handling, especially in the snow. Heated seats and other cold weather features for going snowboarding. Excellent cargo capacity. Good stock stereo.

Cup holders were remedied in 2000, make it so that the ABS ring does not shatter when dismantling the bearing assembly. Better fuel economy would also be good. I get 24 mph on the freeway.