Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Wow! I can't believe it's from 1999
By Bob Lovington

1999 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

It may sound weird. But it feels dated inside and out. More like 1994 Volkswagen Passat I used to have. It is a very reliable car, though I wish now that it had side curtain airbags. It has some innovative features like a weather radio which is neat. The most fun thing to do with the car is make it go through puddles. It has horrible gas mileage. I would expect the gas mileage from a 6 cylinder not a 4 cylinder.

The weather radio

Update my car from 1994. Better fuel mileage

Hall anything anywhere
By autooracle

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I had to replace the valve cover gasket. That was pretty much it. Peppy, great on fuel economy.

Automatic headlights. Mean fog lamps.

They did it: Variable intermittent wipers, intermittent rear wiper.

That Box May Have a Use
By Unknown Person

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I got this about 6 years ago for my wife. I loved it in 2002. Now, in 2008, 9 years later, boxy doesn't fit my cool image. I love the AWD but the styling sucks. It's a box! I do not like any imitation wood or ugly black plastic. It has some wind noise over 65 mph. I like that the Limited interior for its modern decade features like CD player and heated power leather seats. I wish I could have got the wagon after I got kids, but I changed my mind after I folded down the seats for the first time. Soccer moms come here! Over all it is a great vehicle, but do you and your cosmetic mind a favor: Year 2000 or up Subaru Legacy or Impreza.

Modern features that lasted a decade. All wheel drive. Fold down seats.

Styling makeover. Thigh-support. Wind noise. Small backseat.

Lots of problems!
By disapointed

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned our Subaru for 3 years now and we are much more than upside down in the actual value of the car. Five months after buying it the tranny quit, thankfully it was under warranty. Next, about a year later it was the radiator, water pump, some random hoses, cam shaft seals and we did the timing belt to be safe. The most recent repair and the most expensive, the heads and head gaskets! This is our second and most likely last subaru. Major lemon!

Heated seats. AWD

The cupholders are in an awful spot. Hopefully the engine problem has been resolved

1999 GT Wagon
By ROB

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car!! It makes me feel like I am sixteen again. I look for any reason to go for a ride. It's fun to drive with its great ride. This car is also great on gas, very hot topic today with the high gas prices. Subaru did a great job with this car.

I love how this car handles. Everything feels very tight. I also love how the car is so great on gas. Its very fun to drive.

It would be nice to have a little more horse power. My other vehicle has a V8 and I notice the difference. I would take the Subaru GT over the V8 any day when it comes to going to the gas pump.