Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

They don't build em like they used to
By Crud

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1992 legacy 2.2 with 245K miles, that still works flawlessly. However, I needed a lower mileage vehicle so how could I go wrong with another Suby so I bought a 1999 which now has 101K (I think because the speedometer/odometer is garbage). The 2.2 SOHC changed from a noninterference on my 92, to interference on the 2.2 SOHC 99 (won't get off with just a broken timing belt). No speedometer cable on the 99 only cheap three strand spaghetti wires (way too many). Subaru changed from reliable, to electrically ridden piles of crap, overpriced for the reliability. Love the wagon though. Ford Freestyles are a great AWD wagon alternative,good mpg too :). Sorry Subaru this will be my last one.

AWD. Capacity.

Go back to what you were good at Subaru. Instead of saving a buck you should think about your loyal consumers who won't buy another Subaru now. Oh and the cup holder, better off holding a cup between your legs.

My first Subaru
By tomison61

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

My cousins have talked about these cars for years! I did not believe them at first, I needed a used car that was good on gas, I found this one, it needed brakes, a front wheel bearing and 1 tire, I bought it for $1300.00 and did the work needed, Well let me tell you after I drove it I fell in love with it, goes any where, gas mileage after a tune up is 39 highway, This is awesome,

Gas mileage, I can resell this for a profit!

Always have a mechanic look at any car before you buy it, They are trained to look for things other people may not know about!

Just what I needed
By WJM

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago and have been loving it! It has 129,000 miles on it and it drives great! I went from an Acura RSX to a station wagon, so I obviously didn't buy it for style. I love the way it drives and haven't had any problems with it so far. The only thing I am disappointed in is the gas-mileage. 21 MPG is pretty bad for a 4-cylinder. The rear latch for the hatch is broken and I can only purchase a new one from the dealer, which will cost me about $180, a total rip-off if you ask me. Not ever wanting a truck, this vehicle is great for home-improvement projects. If this holds up I would buy another one.

Lots of space, roof rack, AWD.

Let aftermarket companies make your parts to make them more affordable. Make your engine more fuel efficient, or just smaller.

Head Gasket Issues: Subaru 1995-2000
By Noah

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru, but if I had known that Subaru made poor quality head gaskets in the late 90s I would have never bought one. $3000 dollars later (@125k miles) I have a new head gasket and clutch and will never again buy a Subaru. My only other issues: The shifter rattles and the cup holder is directly over the CD player. Look into the head gasket issue before you buy!

Fun to drive and great in snowy winter.

gas mileage, cup holder, head gasket.

Snow bound in Siberia
By Leadfoot

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased prior to transfer to Finland for its 4wd. It's handled great on the ice covered roads of northern Finland with some issues related to brakes wearing out early (Maybe too much salt on the roads). It does suck down the gas but has reliable starting history and only required some minor maintenance on the cooling system to date. It is an oil burner but not such that it needs any additional in the 3,000 mile change intervals that I am using. Found the Fully synt oil burns or runs out faster than the partially synt. Now looking at a new clutch set replacement after 120k. Not bad since it does take a bit of abuse.

ICE and snow handling. Heated seats in the cold of winter.

Poor brakes and cooling problems through the life.