Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Not sporty at all but great car!
By kyle3465

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my very first car, and for my first car I am very pleased with it. All wheel drive is awesome to
have in virtually any road conditions. The car currently has 129k and is running strong. I have no mechanical problems with car. The only thing that bothered my about this car was that the hear shields have the tendency to rattle which is repairable by anyone with metal zip clamps. I also don't like the cup holders... worst design ever! Like
I stated in the title its not very fast at all especially on hills. It is a good reliable car though.

HUGE Headache
By tke259

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has a nice design but is very unreliable. My car has about 71,000 miles and I had to drop $2900 on it to get the headgasket, water pump, timing belt, battery, and starter replaced. Now, the transmission is on its way out which will cost me about another $2000. This car is in the shop more than on the road... major disappointment.

Headgasket quality

Beware of the headgasket
By josh259

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

When I bought my 1999 Subaru (with only 70,000 miles) all my friends talked about how reliable they are and how great they are in the snow. But no one mentioned the common headgasket problem. Subarus are infamous for their head gasket problems in the 2.5L engines. My car was fine for the first week or so after buying it. Then it started overheating and I had to regularly add coolant even though there were no leaks. After investigating, I've determined it is the headgasket. This will cost me a minimum of $1,000. If you find that you are losing coolant through your coolant reserve tank, chances are exhaust it building up pressure in your radiator causing the coolant to back up into the reserve

Head-gasket is in need of major improvement!

Sweet looking money pit...terribly disappointed with this completely unreliable vehicle
By wearyphoenix

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

1st Subaru. Worst (supposed to be the nicest) car I've ever had. Got it used from a dealer w/80,000 miles. Only put on 30,000 in 6 yrs, but its required thousands $$$ in repairs. Problems, big & small started immediately & never stopped. Bad tie rod ends, rack boot, steering gear, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, rattling, squealing, smoking, losing power while driving, light out in clock, windshield & sunroof leaks, CD player useless, hatch stuck, passenger window falls out of track, repeatedly corroding battery terminals & whatever else I'm forgetting. Now catalytic converter.
I expected more from a Subaru. Next time I'll definitely do my homework about a specific model before buying!

Good in snow. Sun/moon roof, plenty of room, when working properly it runs smooth and quiet, looks cool for a wagon, minimal damage when we hit a full grown deer. Comfortable. A/C & heat work well.

Reliability & durability would be a fantastic start.

All of our friends liked THEIR subaru.......
By kentlooney

1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

We don't. We have had this vehicle in the shop more than any other vehicle we have ever driven. We have had to have the engine oil seals replaced twice. The clutch release lever went out. We had already replaced the clutch... The air conditioning system went out. Ok, I could go on, but you get the idea.

We can't wait to sell our problem child to someone else!