Used 1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Fun to drive, but the head gaskets stink
By pbourdon

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had my LGT for about two years now and overall it's been a great car for me. I love the AWD, and comparing it to the Audi quattro I had prior, I'd take the Subaru any day. The only real gripe I have is as the others have mentioned, the 2.5L motor is notorious for head gasket issues due to its open deck design. However, Subaru has remedied this problem in their newer models. If you run into head gasket troubles, be prepared for a ~$2k repair, but make sure your mechanic installs the new steel head gaskets as opposed to the pressed graphite gaskets that are the original equipment. The steel gaskets will hold up to the wear and tear that this engine design doles out.

AWD, sharp handling, cheap repairs (head gaskets not included), decent gas mileage, and a nice manual gearbox.

Give me a refund on my damn head gasket repair costs Subaru!!!! And the cupholders, and seats could be a better design.

Amazing vehicle - keeps on truckin'!
By Ray

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

245,000. This engine is still very zippy. However, the previous owner "cooked" the original engine; probably the head gaskets. So, we were fortunate that the car had a newer engine and have had "zero" problems since we purchased it four years ago. We have had the paint touched up, installed an immobilizer, beefed up the sound system, bought it high- performance tires and started running it on synthetic. Have had it up to 140km/h recently, just for fun on a straight open highway and the car barely vibrates... so smooth! My 6 and 7-1/2yr old kids love it and since we've started looking for something a little less hungry for fuel, they've been sad that we may trade it in. I'm a little sad too!

All wheel drive! Literally passing trucks and jeeps in the ditch in two feet of snow! (Do have a separate set of rims with winter tires if you live in a very harsh "Canadian" winter climate.)

Fuel economy is only "fair". Cup holder is a little "iffy", so you have to watch that your drink isn't leaking as it will go right into your stereo system's deck!

Still Chugging 10 Years Later
By AndieY's Hubcap

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

My wife bought it new and handed it to me when we bought a new Forester this year. She's used it to carry dogs & horse stuff, to drive over fields, to carry our boys to all the usual places. I now drive it back and forth to work (15 miles/day), & my son drives it when home from college. We about 22 mpg, 24 if highway driving (but that's not often). So astonishingly dependable that when something goes wrong, you think somebody's been fooling with it.

Cupholders. The Forester's cupholders are in between front seats - very clumsy to use. Legacy's are flimsy, but much more convenient. Huge storage space compared to Forester '08.

The front seats are uncomfortable during long drives. Subaru fixed this as of the '08 Forester.

Big Engine Problems
By Tyler

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This car's driveability is unmatched for the price range. Excellent 4WD for the winter months, but sporty in the summer. Plenty of space for cargo and family friendly. Androgynous body style with nice curves. Unfortunately, the 2.5L engine has notorious head gasket issues. Had to replace water pump, timing belt, tensioner, gaskets, etc. Otherwise I routinely get 28MPG highway and in town around 22; not bad for AWD. I won't buy another Subaru, due to the engine problems, but a fun car until it busted

Cargo room, including roof, style, handling, fuel economy

Cup Holder, Gas Pedal room for foot,

Road Hugging Utility
By RCalvin

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased new and have 99,000+ mi on it. Lot's of leg room front and back. Back seats drop down for utility. The GT sits about an inch lower than an Outback and has a sport-tuned suspension. When combined with the low center of gravity from the design of the engine, the car is glued to the road. I had an older Subaru that was great in the snow, but it could get sideways when braking. This one has ABS to go with the AWD, so it goes and stops under control.

AWD goes anywhere in any weather, ABS stops the car under control, and low center of gravity let's you take corners like a sports coupe.

Steering wheel tilts, but it would be nice if it telescoped too.