Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Very reliable car
By MJessup

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car from my grandma when she was no longer able to drive. It has been a wonderful car. The only problem I have had with the breaks, the whole car seems to shimmy when I come to a stop from a high rate of speed, like coming off the interstate. My previous car was a SAAB, and going from driving that to my little Subaru feels like I am driving a tin foil car, and it seems so low to the ground. I don't feel very safe driving it. I have checked the safety ratings and it came out very high, so it's a personal issue. If I didn't get such a great deal on this car from my grandma I would have never bought it, but it has been a great car for me, and it always starts when I need it too.

Large cargo area

Gas mileage

Awesome Car!!!
By Sherry

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 98,000 miles as of today I have 252,000. It still runs like a top. I drive over a 100 miles a day to work and I have never felt so safe. Never fails to start. I have only had to do the usual maintenance for it. I make sure it has an oil change ever 3000 and regular maintenance. But I love this car. I live where there are a lot of dirt roads and the roads are not always plowed when I leave for work. This car, with a set of snow tires will walk through anything. I have a driveway that goes down hill along ways, and snow gets pretty deep in my driveway. But this car walk up that driveway like it was summer. I just can’t say enough about the car.

Heated seats, AWD, the Reliability!!!

Seats could be more comfortable, gas mileage could be a little better.

Expected it to last longer
By Dr. Pat

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my second Subaru. I bought it new and just like my predecessor GL, it did not last past 125K miles. This last week discovered the leaking head gaskets, catalytic below par and a leak in the fuel tank. I took precious care of this car but I live in NE and the road salt must have gotten to the fuel tank. However, isn't this what the car was made for? I had just put $2K into repairs over the last year for things like timing pulleys, brakes, etc. I don't know whether I should get another one. They just don't seem to be economical unless you are mechanically inclined.

Gas mileage (30mpg with manual trans.), heated seats and windows, engine block heater, cargo storage, split rear seats. I had actually preferred the four wheel drive to the AWD version.

The head gasket issue, poor interior design with the stupid cup holders blocking the stereo controls on the standard shift cars. Put back in the cold weather package option for us Northerners.

Running Great for 12 years
By Marshall

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 2nd Subaru and handles the Washington winters-I've pulled many larger cars and 4X4's up our hill with this car. The 5 sp manual is fun, gets better acceleration/mileage than an automatic. It has been very reliable, though it has a slow oil leak and have had to replace the struts. It goes very well off road, hauls a trailer easily, and has a very versatile interior for hauling people or cargo. The exterior paint has been very durable. It could use higher headrests, exterior mirror pivots, better drink holders in a better position, and better sound insulation. Three kids have learned to drive on this car and I plan to keep it until "Sabastian" is abducted to college.

AWD, safety rating, good gas mileage (for AWD), flexible interior, seat height adjuster

Great Reliable Car
By cbvt

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is great in the snow and Vermont mud season (we live out on three miles of dirt road). My wife is more comfortable driveing this car than our 4wd drive pick-up truck. we bought the car with 70,000 miles on it and the car just seems to go for ever. we are now at 150,000 miles with only minor expected repaires. Definitely the most sturdy and reliable car I have ever owned. I get 28-32 miles per gallon with the manual trans.

All wheel drive, large area for hauling stuff, reliablity, fuel economy

Move the cup holders away from the heater controls, more options on wiper controls, nicer seats with more support