Used 1996 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Read me....
By danklug

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has 297,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable and still gets close to 26 mpg. This is not a car to buy if you are a do it yourself person. The spark plugs are impossible to change without dislocating your wrist. The replacement parts are high. It eats brakes. Heater lamps burn out constantly. The 2.5 engine leaves a lot to be desired. Overall a good car and a great value for the $4K range.

All wheel drive, stablilty.

The cup holder is a bad joke. Spark plug access. A turbo. Better fuel economy. Full instruments would be nice. A 2wd-4wd switch would be nice.

After 275k miles, still a great car!
By Jim

1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

My Legacy Brighton was purchased new in 1996 and has remained in my family since then. It has been subjected to hard driving and New England winters and still looks and runs great! After 275,000 miles, I have had minimal repairs except for the transmission, which has been rebuilt each 125k miles (approx.). Can't beat the all-wheel drive for the snow and body integrity is excellent - just one spot of rust after 8 years. I will definitely buy one again! Too bad they've become pricey in recent years - I guess the secret is out.

Incredible reliability. Smart, simple design. Strong body (has been in several fender-benders and still looks great).

Seats are uncomfortable on long drives -very little lower back support. I hear that Subaru has addressed this in newer models. Also, gas tank is very small. But then again, it's not so painful to fill up.

Poor Suby! It got totaled.
By Gregsly

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car as a lease return. During warranty coverage an engine seal went out (about $700). Had one alternator, and a sensor go out. The car has 3 oil leaks which would cost $2,000 to fix, but use only 1 qt/3000 miles, so I opted not to fix them at my mechanic's suggestion. He said that these leaks are endemic in this car and will just return if fixed. Dash lights have failed bit by bit. That said, I loved this car. Great to drive in snow/ice, reasonable power, reasonable economy. It was totaled a couple weeks ago so I'm in the market for another one.

AWD is fantastic. Really. Car handles well especially for a station wagon. Mostly reliable (except for oil leaks and alternator). There's something intangible that makes this a great car to drive.

Noise! window and door seals let in lots of air/road noise. This car needs a bigger fuel tank. A bit of work on mechanical reliability, especially engine seals.

Awesome 1996 LS AWD wagon
By sunnie

1996 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this wagon from a friend who purchased it new so I have driven it for 9 years, as I drove for her. It has been reliable, comfortable and great fun to drive. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone, but especially old sports car buffs as it handles like the a dream. With 87,000 miles there have been no serious mechanical problems, only routine stuff like battery, tires, etc.

Sunroof and electric door and windows.

Buy a Toyota
By seattle

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I agree with the other reviewers who tell you not to buy this car with more than 60,000 miles. I've had numerous, expensive repairs done which I NEVER had to do on Toyotas I've owned. I LOVE the looks, size and idea of the legacy, but I'm really going to have to think twice before I buy another Subaru.

AWD, good size

Bigger engine, better gas mileage. Redesign the automatic door locks. If you lock the driver side, it locks the whole car = good. If you unlock the driver side, it unlocks the whole car = annoying and creeps me out in isolated parking garages.