Used 1991 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1991 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Loved my Suby
By bullshartist

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I loved this car... finally sold it because it seemed like it was having transmission problems @ 172000 miles -- later found out it was probably just a clogged filter. Only FWD Subaru I have ever seen, but it handled in snow and ice beautifully -- and I live in Alaska. A very steady ride, power everything. I did have to make some repairs -- alternator, both CV joints, rubber door gaskets, new struts, sun visor on driver's side. However, NEVER any engine problems. Always started. Left it parked in -20 degrees for 2 weeks and it still started. It had lots of heart.

Steady ride, automatic everything, that engine, chrome trim :-).

What is that black-painted trim that peels off of every 1991 Subaru I've ever seen?? Why didn't they just make that chrome?

One of the best cars... period.
By cliffjumper88

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

My mom bought our Subaru Legacy L wagon used and drove the heck out of it (back and forth to college at least 3 times a week [94 miles a trip].). We still own this car and it still runs and drives quite well at over 350,000 miles. In owning this car for several years we have only had to have it worked on 3 times and have put a little more than 225,000 miles on it. This Legacy has been the most reliable and tough vehicle that we have ever owned. This was the first car I learned to drive and Subaru has been my favorite automotive company ever since.

Roomy, very comfortable seats, good fuel economy, big trunk, great sound system, extremely reliable engine and powertrain, tough body and pretty fun to drive (for a wagon).

This car could've had a more aerodynamic body and maybe the air suspension system from the '91 XT6 to make the ride somewhat smoother, but other than that just a great car.

World's greatest used car
By firstwagon

1991 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought it 4 years ago because I needed a car on short notice and wanted a wagon. Learned to love it because it never lets you down and does everything as well as a new car for 1/10th the price. After 17 years, almost everything on the car is still original and there isn't a spot of rust. This is the car that made Subaru a legend.

Reliability, space, winter driving is a 10/10, factory stereo has an aux jack.

Could use another 20 ft/lbs on the bottom end so trans doesn't have to down shift so much.

unbreakable japanese car
By jhalan777

1991 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with over 250,000+ miles on it, and despite some idle issues that I have just now been able to handle this car just wont quit, its too ugly to sell, I use it as a back up car, but it starts and drives, despite only running on two cylinders for the last six months!

unbreakable reliability

move the cup holder, what were they thinking

Unbelievable
By spurlicke04

1991 Subaru Legacy Sport Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

I had been wanting a Subaru for quite a while when I found this one. I got it for $500!! The amazing thing about this car is that the guy who had it before me hadn't changed the oil in 4 years, and it was still his daily driver. When I found it there were no fluids in it at all. No gas, powersteering, coolant, oil, trans fluid, no nothing. This guy told me that he was determined to drive it til the wheels fell off and didn't think that it was worth the money to change the oil. It was a little shaky at first. It was almost like I was bringing the car back out of a 4 year coma. Now it runs very strong. It doesn't look like much, but I shocked the hell out of a v8 mustang recently.

This car is unbreakable. It's fast, responsive, handles like no other. Very cool auto trans (read about it). I feel that I can do anything with it. I plan on getting another car soon so I think I'm gonna strip this one down and put a roll cage in it to make the world's best go cart. lol

This car was made back when gas was $1 a gallon, so fuel economy wasn't a big concern. The absolute worst place to put a cup holder. Seriously subaru...