2020 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$19,195

Save as much as $1,684
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Fun and high-tech daily driver!

Andrew , 01/06/2020
Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a 2020 Impreza Sport hatchback with manual transmission. Compared to my 2017 base model Impreza, this one is MUCH nicer. I notice road and wind noise is significantly quieter, and the sound of the boxer engine is softer as well, so Subaru must have added more insulation to the car to make it quieter. My wife and I also love the heated front seats. My old Impreza took forever to warm up in the winter, and now I am able to get warm within 2 minutes of getting into the car. The heated mirrors are nice to have in winter as well. The amount of and ease-of-use of the technology is great. Since I opted for the manual transmission, I don’t have the EyeSight safety features, but the 8-inch LCD screen is great and comes with STARLINK as well as lots of info about the performance of the car (gas mileage, oil temp, tire pressure, etc). And the backup cam is my favorite of any car I’ve ever driven. Also, the sport cloth is a classy and unique touch, as are the 18-inch alloy wheels. I don’t mind that the gas mileage doesn’t compare to rival car brands because I like having all-wheel drive all the time. If you’re comfortable with manual transmission, I’d recommend going with it over the more popular CVT transmission because acceleration feels sportier and less sluggish than the CVT. If you want a sporty, fun car with all-wheel drive, I’d definitely recommend this car.

Great car for the price

Jerry, 02/20/2020
4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

For an all wheel drive Subaru, the price is low compared to many others on the market. Very tight care with a sporty feel.

4 trips to dealer to fix problems

Alex, 11/11/2020
Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought premium version in September 2020. It is November 2020 now. So far 5 trips to the dealer to replace remote engine start module, central console unit (I do not know what it is called), and rear callipers. The radio keeps rebooting itself while driving. The front suspension makes noise that mechanics, so far, cannot replicate. And all of this is in less than 2 months if ownership. So far, the car spent about 16 days at the dealership being fixed. I guess I drew the short straw when I was dealt a car...

Ad
Build Your Impreza®
At a Glance:
  • $18,795starting MSRP

Excellent car, could use a bit more power

ed, 06/17/2020
4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Have the base model with CVT. Handling and stability is excellent. No torque steer, even in the wet, due to symmetrical AWD, outstanding traction in wet and snowy conditions. Live in Minnesota, so AWD is primary reason for getting the car. Plenty of room inside, (got the 5 door so can fold down rear seats), excellent for highway cruising with adaptive cruise, and is quiet for the class. Relatively small dimensions and nimble handling make it also very good for city driving. Now to the negatives that almost every road tester beats on the car for. First, interior quality. Often is criticized, but is adequate IMO. Easy to use entertainment system, materials are fine for the class. Seats could be a bit better, but I once did 800 miles in one day, mostly in heavy rain, without undue discomfort, and felt totally confident of traction. Finally, engine performance. Roundly criticized by almost every tester, but it more than adequate, IMO. Fuel economy is also very good considering AWD is active all the time. Currently am averaging 32 mpg in mixed, mostly freeway driving, with heavy use of the A/C. Average in mid 20s in winter, with balance more toward stop and go driving. Feels plenty quick in city driving, can cruise 80 mph all day on the interstate(have the ticket to prove it). Occasionally feels flat in light throttle acceleration at moderate speeds, but other than that is more than adequate. The rest of the car is so outstanding, though, that it is unfortunate that it does not have a bit more power. Supposedly the Forester 2.5 L engine is coming to some Crosstrek models in 2021, so hopefully will eventually filter down to the Impreza.

2020 Subaru Impreza Sport Hatchback

SewerRat, 02/17/2020
4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this car new 3 weeks ago. The fuel mileage I am getting is 28-30 mpg per tank of fuel. This is before it's even broken in and I am dogging it hard. I always do with a new car as it is better for it. Good luck. Very satisfied customer here.