Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Best car I have ever owned!
By Deb White

2012 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2012 WRX hatchback.....SWEET RIDE!! Handles great in all conditions and is a blast to drive.

First and probably last unfortuanately
By Aphil

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I'm going to be that guy that probably ruins the "Subaru high" that all owners seem to have about these cars but this particular model for me pretty much wore out its welcome. It wasn't always like this, when I first got this car I was impressed by its quickness and handling, along with the exceptional gas mileage. With that being said, fast forward about a year and roughly 30,000 miles later and the first "problem arises in the form of a bad fan moter for the AC/heating. I was taken back a little bit considering these vehicles are known highly for reliability but I had that problem fixed. Now, fast forward about 3 years later and some more miles and I have a bad sensor that was affecting my dashboard with the indicator lights coming on at random...had that problem fixed after about a good 6 months of now knowing how bad the problem was. Now, onto the final chapter with this car with about 120,000 miles and I'm finding out I likely have a bad fuel pump. I'm not happy at all really. These Subaru's should really like most other big name brands only require routine maintenance. (tires, brakes, oil changes) not this bullshit of the engine falling apart! I will say that once I determine what this problem is I'm likely done with it since I've already shelled out over $1,000 outside of routine maintenance! I had my hopes high but this brand has let me down. I've been though Chrysler...Nissan and Subaru..all 3 took a [non-permissible content removed] before I could get full value. Will probably go Toyota from here on out!

The worst vehicle that I have ever owned
By Bill

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 10 New Subarus. My 1992 and 1993 Legacy were the best vehicles that I have ever owned, 35 miles per gallon on the road, never never burned oil, And no major repairs in 250,000 miles. Since then they have become junk. My Impreza, purchased new , has burned oil since new. The driver seat is crippling and cannot be fixed. It was involved in 2 serious accidents in which the airbags failed to deploy. The best mileage I have ever had was 24 miles per gallon Highway. Both the dealers and Subaru customer service have failed to stand behind their product. After dozens of complaints right up to Subaru and numerous oil burning tests, they keep telling me that this is "normal". Keep away from. this vehicle.
update.....I found out that the company was required to replace the engine as the result of a class action suit. Upon notifying Subaru they replaced the short block. I drove it for 5,000 miles and it did not burn a drop of oil. I sold the car anyway. I should not have had to go through what I did.

Subaru's half baked effort
By Jack

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning the vehicle for 5 years and putting 10K miles (weekend/beach car) I have mixed feelings about the vehicle (I've owned over 30 vehicles in the past thirty years). Consumer Reports voted it higher than Mazda 3 and there was lots of hype around the new Impreza that year. THE BAD: low to the ground for an AWD (a handicap when at the beach or camping), noisy and coarse sounding engine, exposed electrical wires in the engine bay (not very neat), no engine sound deadening panel under the hood, slow in first and second gear, hard shifting 5 speed transmission, huge windshield absorbing lots of sun (thus heat), fabric on seats (very thin material) that collects dog hair (and it won't release it), noisy climate fan, no temperature or fuel gauge (light and digital read out only), questionable paint quality, delicate exterior body parts, roughly 8 fl. oz. oil consumption per 1,200 miles (acceptable according to Subaru). THE GOOD: nice looking, nice suspension, good visibility, great resale value, happy with the dealer, glad it is out of our garage.

Impreza's Don't Properly Represent Subaru
By Phil Rush

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback and the Forester blow away the build quality of the Impreza in my opinion, unfortunately it rides on the coat tails of the entire fleet as far as ratings and resale value go...