Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Oil burner
By fredjohnson

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My 2012 Impreza is beginning to really bother me. 25k miles on it and it burns 2 qts of oil every 3k miles now. Yes, the CVT is noisy as can be, but I knew that when I bought it. In winter, my highway gas mileage does drop to 27 mpg which is almost 10 mpg lower than EPA sticker. Overall, I'm dissatisfied with the car, especially after finding out Subaru won't do much to help with the oil consumption other than to say its "normal". And to that I say BS. Never had a Toyota or Honda---I've owned 8 new ones--- burn oil.

Update: 60k on odometer now. Still burns same amount of oil. Will stay away from future Subarus because of excessive oil burn. Subaru won't back up their product which adds to dissatisfaction. Otherwise, car is reliable. Mpg no change. Still below stated number in window sticker. Engine still noisy, especially in winter. Anemic acceleration from 0 to 60.

Exactly what you're expecting
By iliketoshift

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

At 4.5 years, here's my honest appraisal.
This impreza is the best AWD appliance vehicle out there. If you want a car that's no frills on the inside, sticks to the road like glue in rain and snow, and gets pretty good millage - this is the car for you.

Unfortunately I've come to terms that this vehicle is not for me. I have several ergonomic nits to pick, the drive is pretty lifeless, the engine is adequate, the AC barely keeps up on a 95 degree day, the interior is loud compared to most other vehicles, and the rear defroster barely melts anything but the slightest frost.

If you're simply using your car to get groceries, go on a road trip, or drive into the city for a night the impreza will be fine. But if you are constantly considering your car, it will be a disappointment. That's where I am. OTOH, mechanically the car is solid with no failures in almost 5 years and probably about 34 MPG overall. Because the car excels at the major task it needs to accomplish, I just can't get rid of it.

So if you're an average driver who prioritizes AWD hatchback, go for it. But if you think some of the wrx pedigree is going to wear off - or this car is close enough to the refinement and thoughtfulness of a best-in-class-high-trim compact, you should look elsewhere. If you like cars and talk about cars, don't get the Impreza. But if you like cars and someone comes to you for a recommendation of a solid, safe, reliable automobile, have the impreza on your short list.

Oil Consumption
By csl12

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Update on previous review (see below).

It took over 2 years but Subaru finally agreed the car was burning oil. They replaced the engine block. Since then it has burned less oil, but still does consume more than I would expect. Still occasionally get other warning lights/sensors that have to be checked. We've put far too much time and effort into a 4 year old car with only 35,000 miles than we should. A real disappointment from Subaru.

As I said in my earlier review, my 2010 Forester has been AWESOME!!!! I've only had to do normal maintenance on that vehicle (fluids, filters, brakes, tires). Subaru got it right on that car!!!!

We bought the 2012 Impreza after our 2004 was totaled. We also own a Forester and have owned 3 others. We have had check engine, oil pressure, and low oil warnings 7 times in two years. In particular, we've had low oil 5 times within the past 7 months and only 7,000 miles. The car is definitely burning oil. Dealer agrees it's burning oil and is not leaking. It doesn't leak "enough" and is considered to be "normal" by the service manager.
As a 25 year Subie owner, I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the vehicle and Subaru's inaction.
I doubt we'll be another Subie- but I do LOVE my 2010 Forester (before the engine change!!!)

Great AWD Hatchback!
By macj123

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great all-wheel drive hatchback!
I would recommend it to anyone who has to drive in the snow, this is built for snow, cold and ice.
I have a manual and my winter driving conditions are very harsh so my MPG is not that great.
Still better than SUV's so I'm not complaining.
Engine has started beautifully in many days below 0, even in the -20's!
Great cargo space, roof rails roof rails are nice.

- Good gas milage for AWD - Seat seats - Back seats fold down flat - AWD grabs and grips wonderfully in winter conditions -Heated mirrors

-Better insulation because there is a lot of road noise - Seat warmers pulse very warm to warm, it isn't consistent. It would be nice if high stayed at one heating temp, same with low - Radio signal is very weak, disappointing for a new car - Volume does not go up that high - Cruise control is touchy - Diesel option for even better milage

Enjoying my Impreza Sport
By jd_24

15 Monthes and 23,000 miles of ownership and no issues.
MPG has slowly increased to now over 37mpg on highway trips.
Cold weather and short trips do greatly reduce MPG.
Have used it for 300+ mile trips wth 2 adults and 3 kids.
Back seat is roomy and comfortable for 3 despite the small size.