Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

An Ongoing Problem and Subaru Failed to Resolve
By Disappointed Owner

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is for a 2009 Subaru Impreza, 105k miles. Bring to Subaru dealer and told the head gasket is leaked. Did research about the issue, and found that this is an ongoing problem and that the engines are known to consume too much oil between oil changes. Subaru has a class action lawsuit against them for the same problem but not the specific year of vehicle. Had contact Subaru Customer Service few times today but have not reach a resolution with them. This is frustrated because this is a known problem and other people have had the issue resolved but because this vehicle is a different year it does not qualify for compensation or repairs.

Great for only 7 years, disappointing longevity.
By Randy Buss

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First 7 years it was a good, however, I didn't get longevity from it. On 7-31-15 the engine suddenly blew without reason. Two weeks prior, I checked the fluids (oil in particular) and all levels were good, but on the way home from work I suddenly felt and heard loud clanking sounds along with a drop in acceleration/power going up a hill on the highway. I was fortunate to be approaching a rest area exit when this occurred so as to immediately pull off the highway just as the engine stalled. First thing I checked was the oil level, and the dip stick was completely dry. When the tow truck arrived, the towing mechanic started it and immediately turned it back off and said it sounds like something was ready to fly apart. The next day they informed me the engine is blown and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt or new engine. Estimated cost: $4,500 to $5,000 to replace the blown engine with a rebuilt engine.

What upsets me and disturbs me the most about this is I took meticulous care of the vehicle, as I do with all of our vehicles. Furthermore, there were no warning lights that appeared when the engine blew, until the engine stalled out. No low oil pressure lights, no low oil level lights, no check engine lights, nothing! And how is it that it burned through four quarts of the oil withing a two week span.

When this occurred the car only had 120,000 miles on it, and was only 7 years old. Granted, I haven't had any issues with it until now, but I also hadn't planned on having to fork out $4000-$5000 for a rebuilt engine, or purchase a new vehicle for at least another 10 years. All of the vehicles I've owned (Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge, Nissan) I've used for at least 15 years each and well into the 250,000 mile range, and I've never had any major problems with them.

With the research I've done since this incident, I've discovered a class action law suite against Subaru for an issue with their engines that strongly resembles what happened with my Subaru engine, to which prosecuting attorneys are disclosing facts that Subaru has known about the issue and has neither disclosed information about the engine defect to their customers nor has Subaru done anything to correct the known issue. Instead, Subaru continued to sell cars with a serious engine defect, to which they knew about, which could be life threatening under certain circumstances.

Prior to this incident, I planned on making this car last me another 10 years, at which time I would purchase only one more vehicle prior to retiring. As a result of this incident and the class action law suite against Subaru that I've discovered, I will NEVER purchase another Subaru.

Since I've now purchased two other new vehicles since this incident with the Subaru, (2016 Honda Fit EX & a 2018 Honda HR-V EX), I've discovered how inferior the Subaru vehicles are in comparison to Honda. If you want comfort, technology, handling, and most of all reliability, go with Honda! I never realized how uncomfortably low and stiff the impreza ride is until I checked out Honda vehicles.

2.5 GT Impreza/ Outstanding
By Juan

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5GT 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I am very happy with this outstanding and very fast car. It is fun to drive and I enjoy leaving other more expensive sports cars behind me when they sneak up on me in the fast lane. I laugh when I press down on the gas peddle and just see them fade away in my mirrors. Also my 2.5 GT has the 4- Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission. So I just put it in drive and enjoy it!

Outstanding Turbo Engine makes me sleep restless, can wait to get up next day and drive. Fast and silent. Great stereo can load 6 cds and drive forever. Also great steering control and a lot of grip with the All Wheel Drive System.

Wider side mirrors so I can see all those cars I leave behind much better. A Six Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission to help improve Gas Mileage.Also better all weather stock tires like Michelin Primacy or Continental DWS.

Really Great
By sjr

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first brand new car I've had. Wonderful price, AWD is awesome for nasty winter driving (I feel very safe), and it's easy to get in and out of. Can fit a wheelchair in the back with the seats down and my 99-year-old grandmother can get in and out without problems (most cars are too low). Roomy interior. The interior is nice for the price. Visibility great. Stereo is fine. Hatchback makes loading vehicle very easy. It does dog if you're using the AC, but it seems sturdy and reliable. After a year of mostly in-town driving I love it. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired, but worth it for confidence and security AWD gives me in the winter. I'd buy another Subaru after this.

AWD, Safety, comfort

Fuel economy.

I'm a Subie!
By JEB

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I researched my buying options thoroughly and after giving a KIA Soul an extended test drive, I knew the Impreza Hatchback was the right car for me. After driving it less than five minutes I knew I made the right choice. The Impreza has the most comfortable ride of all the economical hatchbacks. The all wheel drive is unbeatable in the snow and rain. I'm even impressed the the gas efficiency. I've been getting 24-25 MPG in the city.

Comfort of ride, size and fun to drive.

Don't like the newer style head rest.