Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

So far so good
By Phil

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Impreza in May after putting over 190,000 miles on my 2000 Volkswagen Golf. I feel that the Impreza offered the best for the money compared to the other cars in its class. It may not get the best fuel mileage but makes up for it, in my opinion, by offering AWD. I drive pretty conservatively and have averaged 28 mpg in 11,100 miles. While the tactile quality of the interior may not match that of my VW, the overall design and ergonomics are very good. The Subaru dealership experience that I've had so far, for oil changes, has been very good. Wonderful car.

AWD, nice interior layout, comfortable seats, cargo capacity (can fit 3 sets of clubs in the hatch), keyless entry, minor maintenance points (oil filler, dipstick, transmission stick), storage space and cubbies, and for a 2.5L flat- four, decent fuel mileage.

Torque - For such a large 4 cylinder engine, it seems to lack low end torque, it makes nice power over 4,000 rpm, but struggles under that number. I may be asking for too much here. Stereo - the stock stereo/speakers in this car are pretty lacking. RPM hang is somewhat annoying.

Great so far
By Teddy

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car with my work discount, plus end of the year 0.0% financing, so it turned out to be a great deal. I wasn't sure that I was going to like the car at first, because I switched over from a SUV. But I realized quick that I made a good decision. Comparing to my old truck, mpg is not bad, mainly city driving I get almost 25 average. Being 6'2 the car is pretty comfortable with the help of the adjusting seat. I definitely recommend the 5spd instead of the automatic, which is kinda sluggish.

AWD, handling, fun to drive, comfortable, 5spd, mpg gauge, aux input in radio

speakers are horrible, road noise, headlights could be brighter

One Year Old Now
By Randy

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Impreza Outback Sport for a year now. The ride and responsiveness of this vehicle is superb for a smaller car. Interior room and comfort is wonderful, and road noise is minimal. Truly a wonderful vehicle. The only thing this car suffers from is a very poor quality paint. After only six months it had literally dozens of large 1/4" paint chips on the hood and roof, and every time I looked there seemed to be more. Fortunately, Subaru is backing up their product, and it is going in for a new paint job on the hood and roof tomorrow. I wish they would paint the entire vehicle just to make sure the rest of the paint on the car is ok too, but I don't thing that is going to happen.

Handling, comfort, quiet ride. Heated seats, heated windshield, heated mirrors. Great headlights for night driving visibility. Winter driving still feels like its still summer, lol (this car goes great in snow). And the removable roof rack versatility is WONDERFUL. I've traveled with two kayaks on.

Better quality paint, and better quality paint application. When I got the car, the paint was not as glassy smooth as it should be (orange peel appearance), and the paint on the hood and roof chipped without reason and the chipped areas would continue to get larger over time. I still love the car.

Awesome performance
By Jerry

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Quick, very quick 0-60, and lots of torque at highway speeds. One car mag says 4.7 secs 0-60 and that's not far off, which puts it in a league way above its price. Gas mileage about 24- 25 highway when you can keep your foot out of turbo, otherwise 21-22. AWD grip and handling superb even though the car mags say it is a little soft. Had it since March, got 7K miles on it and have loved every minute.

Performance. Only thing that's beat me at the light to next light is a 400HP BMW M3. No one else has come close. It's hard not to grin while driving it.

Stereo is very subpar. I don't even turn it on. I have the regular shifter and its very imprecise and rubbery, but you get used to it. I've heard the optional short throw fixes that.

It's a lemon
By Not imprezed

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in July. It burns over one quart of oil every 1000 miles. It has soot on the bumper near the tail pipe. Subaru is dragging their feet on replacing it, they want to install a new short block. The oil is dirtier than my wife's car that has 100,000 miles. It's a lemon.

Very stable ride and responsive. Smooth manual transmission, great gas mileage for an AWD vehicle.

Larger moon roof, better speakers, better visibility, cushioned armrest, less brake dust. Also an engine that doesn't burn oil.