Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
By Oliverzilla

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a car that was a great performing sports car, fun to drive, good daily driver, 4 doors, could be used to get groceries, and did not scream ‘sports car’. I found the perfect combination with the my black 2008 WRX STI with silver BBS wheels. This car just rocks. Here are the things that I like best about this car: 1. The ability to tune the car between ‘intelligent’ for daily driving and sport and serious fun with Sport # -- nothing like it on the market. 2. The ability to change the differential for power to the front and rear wheels - tons of options, tons of power, this car moves! 3. The clean simple design of the interior - very nice but not complicated and overdone.

The breaks... they are wonderful.

No automatic driver’s seat. The stereo is very good but could be better for the money. Floor mats, are a little ‘cheap’ in the material.

Go Elsewhere
By Michael

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car now for a little over a year and I can honestly say that it ranks quite high on the list of worst cars I've ever driven. Horrible visibility, especially at night, you can't see anything because of the position of the pillars and the size of the mirrors. Painfully weak and horrendously thirsty engine, you'll be lucky to get 22/23mpg on the highway, driving in cruise control at 65. Quality of materials inside is absolutely appalling, cheap plastics all around! Clutch pedal has no precision making it difficult to drive smoothly. The Navigation system is overpriced for what you get, and no built-in blue tooth. The seats though, make me cringe every time I have to drive.

External styling is quite good and the car does look nice.

Seat quality, very uncomfortable especially for drives longer than an hour or so. Engine power, stability, steering precision, steering response. Better quality materials and plastics inside. Improve build quality so that random "warning" lights don't turn on that are just "loose" connections.

Wife's Car
By Kevin

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I know what I have to say sounds a lot like nit picking. However If you are going to lay out 19k on a car you should know a few things. Over all it really is a good little car. However to make it a great car you are going to need to do some work.

24 mpg city/highway. Four wheel drive. Good visibility looking out all windows. Wife loves the car.

Needs better: tires, paint, suspension, window sun block, bigger rear view mirrors, sun visor is horrible, a real service manual, bigger controls on stereo, gas cap on left side of car, a real coolant temp gauge.

Worst Car I've Ever Purchased
By emanpa68

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Words cannot explain how bad my Subaru Impreza has been. The dealership sold me the car with a dirty interior, and damage to paint on the doors. I was told this was to be fixed by a painter, but even he agreed that the paint was too far beyond repair for a minor touch-up. Needless to say I'm going to have to sue the dealership and have them investigated for fraud if this isn't fixed. Thanks for Subaru for not standing behind your cars at all. I feel bad for anyone who is going through the same problems with this company since there is a known paint problem with the 2008 Imprezas.

I would say the floor mats, but they are falling apart... so I guess the seats are my favorite.

Use better paint.

Impressed with Impreza
By bakerlexky

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru has won me over! I build the best selling import in the US and it doesn't have anything on Subaru's!! This car drives great. Excellent performance in all driving conditions. Gets 29 mpg HWY and 20 mpg city, averages 24.9 in the summer and 23.5 in the winter, great numbers for AWD. So far I've got 16600 miles with absolutely no problems. All I've done is changed the oil and rotated the tires. Quality of the build is A-1. Watch out Toyota! No wonder Subaru was one of only two manufacturers reporting sales increases for 2008!!! Buy one you'll love it!

Excellent handling. Ample stereo with the 10 speaker system. Really like the new style. Excellent acceleration!

Improve the automatic trans! VDC overrides sport shift under hard acceleration. Not only annoying, but potentially dangerous. Power drivers seat.