Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Subaru: Always a Great Purchase!
By Jason

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Subaru: 04 WRX (wish I never sold it!), 07 Forester XS, and this car. I'm driving 45,000 miles a year (crazy!) and averaging 30 MPG at usually 70-75 MPH, which is beyond the EPA reading! Cruise control is my friend. Can't beat the AWD in any weather. I HIGHLY recommend any Subaru model to anyone looking for a vehicle. No issues whatsoever with this car. -- If you're car shopping, just take a moment to drive some Subaru's, especially in a downpour or bad weather... I bet you'll be amazed! For comparison, do the same with other brands. This is when you'll notice more about the true feel of a vehicle versus a bright, dry, sunny day.

Manual transmission (auto was too weak); smooth ride (though it was too "washy" until I adjusted to the ride height) after having sports cars; Premium Pkg & lower seats (for the shifting); Body Style; AWD; Because Subaru makes awesome reliable products.

Better paint! I've never had a car's hood chip so easily before. This is my 6th car and even the other Subies didn't chip like this one. Rear hatch rattles. Using tape on the metal ring helps. Sunroof in the Outback version? Better factory roof rails. These are noisy. Diesel? Please?!?!

My first Subaru
By RT

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

All the reviews about paint problems are true. I bought this car 9 months ago and can't believe how fragile the paint is. I've only got 6,000 miles on the car and it looks like there's 4 years of abrasion on the rear qtr panels. Severe chips on the hood and front of the vehicle. Hopefully Subaru officials read these reviews and do something because they're losing customers. This was my first and believe me last Subaru. Unless you want to pay for a total repaint every 3 years stay away from this car. Other Subaru models have the same problem. Oh and do something about the ridiculously low passenger seat and what's with the holes in the front bumper?? Not all states have front license plates!

I like the styling, everything else is average or below.

Put a 5 speed transmission in the car, the 4 speed is totally inadequate. Improve the quality of your paint. Do away with the clown height passenger seat. Stop putting the unsightly holes in the front bumper and do away with the red instrument lighting, it's awful!

Cheap AWD Safety, Small Family Car
By Third Subaru

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Biggest complaint: rear drum brakes! We don't drive too many miles but we do have to deal with snow. This model is underpowered and boring to drive, but it gets you to your destination safely and reliably in northern winters. We have averaged 23.5 mpg and have had zero maintenance issues. The interior is cheap but well put together and functional. The rear hatch is poorly designed, when you shut it you either push too light and doesn't latch or push too hard and it rubs the bumper. I am not happy with the amount of rust developing in the suspension, and may take it in to complain about that. The paint looks great but it chips and scratches very easily.

AWD and reliable build.

Buyers: Skip the nav and ipod upgrade and get an aftermarket in dash GPS with iPod and sat radio. But go for a version with disk brakes. Subaru: use 4 disk brakes, fix the hatch, use better paint, up the power, give us a diesel or hybrid option, and use better rust proofing.

2008 Subaru 2.5i
By nospe811

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I leased this car and after 21 months with it I would highly recommend it. It has been completely reliable and has returned decent fuel economy (25 mpg overall). The only major nit I have to pick is with the passenger seat. It is mounted way too low and has no height adjustment. Makes one feel like a four year old trying to see out.

The interior lay out is attractive. This car is very nice looking in Newport blue. I like that the hood stays up with out a prop rod (it uses hydraulic cylinders). The light color interior is very rich looking.

Make the passenger seat height adjustable.

Overall not too bad of a car
By llkdd8

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had car for over a year now with 30k miles. I like it with no major complaints, just minor ones. Handling is a little soft, but it gives a very nice ride. After driving manual for 18 years, I feel the 4spd Auto Trans is very weak. Should have gone with the 5M, I really miss it. That is my mistake. I have a black two tone and the paint scratches very, very easily, more so than any car I have ever had. AWD is great, and the VDC is really cool. Next year snow tires will go on, which should really improve the AWD. Even with AWD, 17 inch, wide, low profile tires, aren't the best in the snow. After 30k miles, averaging about 27mpg in all sorts of driving.

AWD of course. Nice gas mileage. Very roomy inside (except for hatch with all seats up), with nice head room. Looks great except from directly behind (not a big fan of the clear rear lights). So far very dependable, no issues at all. Lots of features for 20k.

Stiffer suspension. Better paint quality. Don't look at it the wrong way you might scratch it. Improved premium sound system. More modern 5spd auto trans. Firmer seats with adjustable lumbar support. Do it yourself mechanics will appreciate this one, better location for the oil filter. Ouch!