Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Lots of Fun for the Money
By David

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a bit over a year. I bought it as a second car, but with the lease ending on my primary vehicle (Infiniti M35x), this little Subaru Impreza has become my primary vehicle. I must say, I really love this little guy. I was originally drawn to the exterior and the interior design (beautiful), but really fell in love with how it drives. It's great fun. My usual tastes for higher-end cars are turned upside down with this Impreza. I just don't see a reason to upgrade and spend the extra $$$ at this time.

The interior design is untouched in this class of vehicle (sub $20k). It is really beautiful.

I purchased the XM radio module and the subwoofer speaker (fits under the seat.) The dealer installed them and it has really improved the otherwise dismal audio system. I suggest the same to anyone.

Best for the price
By Mike

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got mine more than year ago. So far very pleased by the price/quality/value. I averaged ~22mpg (~6000 city + ~3000 highway) and I'm OK with that considering AWD, 2.5 engine and automatic transmission. I got Dark Gray Metallic colored car with dark interior. So far no mechanical problems - I've changed only oil and air filters. I believe that the engine is great and allows some fun on the road but could get better performance with manual transmission. Unfortunately my wife prefers automatic so we got less fun.

AWD, handling, reliability, safety and looks. Also I got very nice rate for my full coverage insurance compared to competitor vehicles. There is enough leg, shoulder and head room for tall drivers (I'm 6'5").

Better auto transmission, paint could be scratched very easily especially around door handles, standard audio speakers could be improved. Need better plastic materials for some of the parts like the holder of the fuel tank cap and some of the interior segments.

Very Good except for torque
By AJ

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is generally very good. I got it for an excellent price, even in its first year. I really like the interior design and layout and the great looking and useful hatch bodystyle. The interior generally is nice for the $ but I think the red lighting is juvenile and hard to read. The main problem with the car is the short-stroke engine combined with interia of AWD system makes it a torqueless dog both around town and on the highway. I can't fathom why the engineers would set it up that way. At least the short gearing kind of makes up for it, but then it ends up feeling like it needs a 6th gear. All together it drives and rides pretty well and is comfortable. MPG isn't bad for AWD.

Interior design and layout; balanced feel; AWD grip; European good looks; stability control and traction control; steering has good feel and isn't too quick on the highway or too slow to be sporty; compact size; nice turn-in; good ride unless cornering hard; heated mirrors, seats, wiper area.

Torque!! Needs much more torque low but all around as well; needs more power generally; rough engine, especially on start-up; engine noise; leans and bounces in hard cornering; gearing too short, or needs 6th gear; no lumbar adjustment; weak A/C; juvenile red dash lighting; doors very plasticky.

A Practical Commuter with a Soul
By Mike

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have only owned the vehicle for a few days, but it is incredibly solid and quite fun to drive. Going from a Z28 to a four-cylinder was a bit daunting, but the car feels spritely for 170 ponies. Controls are well laid-out and easy to figure out, and the car responds as though it is meant to be driven. After test-driving a few vehicles (Corolla, Civic, etc) the Subaru was by far the most fun and felt like the best value for my dollar, especially with the full-time All Wheel Drive. The stereo is a bit tinny (base model), but can be easily upgraded. Absolutely opt for the auxiliary-input if you get the base model for MP3 connectivity - it's a blast!

Downshifting and blipping the throttle around corners plants the car firmly - good road manners under any driving conditions, and better than projected fuel economy (I've been getting ~25 combined city/highway and the car is still being broken in) - expecting 30+ with average driving.

Base speakers need upgrading; rear drum brakes on base model are solid, but I'd like to see 4 wheel disc. VDC (traction control) now standard on 09, so I'll curb that one! :)

Great ride
By MikeyEv

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car in February of 2008. I'm not a big fan of the 4dr, but I do love my 5dr wagon. I had a great buying experience and I got a great deal. I love the way the car drives. Great all-around ride and suspension. Lots of power. It has very little turbo lag. It's great on hills. With the seats folded down, there is a lot of space. The car is very practical, reliable, and mostly importantly fun.

The turbo engine. The 5dr wagon design. Friendly ergonomics.

Power seats.