Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2008 STI with NAV
By cdv478

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car has been decent overall. It is a lot of fun to drive and is useful for hauling smaller items. It has been very reliable with the exception of the NAV system. SOA has replaced it 4 times, and the 4th unit is defective, and has been since Feb 2009. The reason it hasn't been fixed properly is that Subaru will only install used "remanufactured" nav units, not new ones, even though I am the original owner and had nav problems less than a week after taking delivery. The car is fun to drive and I am happy with it. Subaru of America service is terrible. As of 11/26/09, my car has 9800 miles and STILL has a defective nav unit.

Engine, transmission, brakes, styling, interior.

Improve customer service, provide more durable interior/exterior finishes, provide more content with the NAV system or lower its price considerably.

One of many VeeDubbers to Subaru
By DW

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently traded in my '07 VW GTI on a used (17,000 miles)-'08 Impreza 2.5i. So I lose 30 hp, gain awd, lose handling, but gain a more grown up, and comfortable car. I wanted something I would be somewhat happy with along with reliability. With the reliability of Subaru, I had my choice. If you want something that will be a 6-7 on the fun scale, that looks good, will drive through anything, and that will be as reliable as a rock... buy one of these.

AWD, boxer sound, highway MPGs, interior design, dials, stereo, dual exhaust, heats up very quickly in cold weather, 5 speed manual, steering wheel controls on premium, leather steering wheel/shifter/parking brake, and it's a SUBARU, it will be as reliable as the sun.

Stronger anti-roll bars, stock exhaust tips (although the bare 2" pipes allow you to put on any tips you like), little nicer cloth interior, otherwise if you keep in mind what car you're buying, there is not much to complain about.

The Good and The Bad
By John

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Being that it has turbo, the WRX is a blast to drive in a straight line. Add corners to the equation and you'd better hang on to the handles if you have the 08. Don't worry, they added sway bars to the 09 WRX because of the problem. They also added significantly more horsepower to the 09 WRX. I feel ripped off that these fixes didn't come with the original 08 WRX model.

Heated seats, hatchback trunk makes it easy to see out of and to load big items with the seats folded down. AWD makes being in the snow fun. Safety ratings are great! Better go with the better speakers from what others have said about the base speakers. My upgraded dealership speakers sound great!

Sunroof, improved gas mileage, interior noise dampening, fix the shifter, passenger side airbag has a difficult time picking up people around 107 pounds which makes the girlfriend a little nervous it won't go off in an accident. Maybe a button to keep it on if you want?

Slow Love Affair
By Chicabags

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first brand new car and Subaru. My first driving an AWD as well. At first I didn't like it much. It took me a year to appreciate it. In time I experienced how safe it kept in challenging weather, bumping terrain sudden braking. I love how safe it keeps me on the road. This is important to me since I drive quite a bit on a daily basis, street and highway. However, there are a lot of things I would like changed. Appreciate anti-theft features standard with the model.

New exterior design. Really LOVE the Newport Blue. The upgraded stereo sound system is great for my taste. Don't need to blast it to enjoy it. I love the surrounded system feature.

REPLACE NAVIGATION PROGRAM. Very inaccurate and unclear mapping directions. Unreliable. Too difficult to figure out. Side view visibility poor. Front seats too low. Back window view difficult to gauge closeness of car behind. Need to use side view mirrors for clarity.

Not worth the money
By Carmen

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Way too much money for what you get. I paid $34,000 for my 2008 STI and it started to wear, rattle, and the is so cheaply done that it scratches easily and flakes off. The car is fast but is very hard to get it to drive smoothly. It jerks with the smallest of gas and throttle inputs. The utility of the hatch is great and its very fast. I averaged about 17 mpg and that should be against the law in a 4 cylinder car. The seats are cheap and offer no support. I have been in $18,000 cars with better sport seats.

1. Speed the car is fast. 2. Utility of a hatch 3. Styling

Subaru needs to use better paint. The interior ages quickly and the shiny parts scratch and flake. The seats need to be bolstered and of a higher quality. Get rid of the rattles it rattles in the front, sides, and back. Use direct injection for better gas mileage.