Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Best Car Under 40k
By rpol8052

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car as a "fun to drive commuter"...what a choice i made, This car is so fun that no matter where you are you just want to go over 100MPH. I have had other nice cars but I will never trade this car EVER!

It has a nice 6spd transmission, also the Brembo brakes and BBS wheels. I dont have to do anything to this car.

The audio system is the only thing that needs improvements.

DUMB college kid here...
By OOPs

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This little wagon is one tough car. I love the car, drive it sanely (mostly). I took it deep into the woods of western Colorado and ended up 4-wheeling across a field of 9" snow at 40 mph, floored in third the whole time. I then accidentally sailed it right off a seven-foot embankment. There were three people in the car. It landed, HARD, and the whole front end tore off, which we ran over. One front tire exploded, the car swung to the left and rolled onto the pass. side. We escaped, pushed her back over; she started right up. DUMB mistake-but terrifically durable car. On a FLAT she made it outta the field, minus the bumper and badly leaking radiator, then made it 91 miles home on the spare.

Nice aesthetics, well-made little beast. Stereo is quite good with optional sub/amp. Nice standard options on long roadtrips. Still runs fine after the wreck and a few repairs. Airbags are quite stout without overpowering (adequate, seatbelts good plan). Buy one; drive it "normally"; not like me.

On normally-aspirated Subies, high mountain roads=more power needed. Bad wind noise over 90 mph.Seats hard; little guys like me need more padding. I really messed up this good car; if U buy one surely you would be happy with it. After all that crap, mine still runs great every day. More careful now.

Good gas mileage
By Brunte48

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We had a 2006 Forester, but it was automatic and we needed manual for behind RV towing. We are really happy with the car. We've never seen lower MPG than 29 and never above 33. (32.5 would be @ 70-80 mph driving from coast to coast) Ony 2 issues: slow driving, like 10 mph in a campground is an unpleasant experience (jerky, very jerky). Passenger seat belt locks and stops my wife from reaching anything on the floor or glove compartment. I expect that issue to be fixed at next service, but the jerky slow driving is a "built in" feature.

AWD on snowy mountain roads in So Cal.

Make slow driving enjoyable.

I'm impressed
By A guy

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2006 Impreza 2.5i almost a year ago now. So far the car has remained reliable and cheap to maintain. I had a minor problem with the exhaust plumbing that was fixed under warranty, but other than that just oil changes and an alignment. The car has enough power to have spirited acceleration. The turn-in is sharp and precise; good steering feel, shifter is smooth and fluid, seats offer good support. The interior is a good driver's environment with excellent touch points. The car handles very well on both dry and wet pavement.

The AWD was hugely important in my purchase decision. It offers traction advantages that simply can't be had from FF, FR, or even MR vehicles. I also like the engine packaging that results in a lower CG and better F/R mass distribution. The suspension is also nice and stiff stock.

60/40 seating. Stickier tires. A tad more rear roll stiffness to decrease understeer and fight body roll with the new tires. A hair more power (just a hair because it's only a 2.5i), perhaps from something as simple as a K&N drop in filter. Other than those simple fixes I'm a happy camper.

Nothing ventured, everything gained.
By Shawn

One tends to assume that something will be forfeited when buying a high performance sedan. The only thing sacrificed when purchasing the STI is MPG, and that's only half true. In no other car can you get impeccable performance, perfect reliability, comfort, style, and the camaraderie that you get from owning an STI. Even with performance mods to put the car at >300 AWHP, gas mileage remains above 20 mpg. Consider how much higher it would be if I did not drive over 90, everywhere!! This intrepid little car has never let me down, not while sideways on dirt roads looking out the wrong window, or taking a 270^ on ramp under full acceleration. Add 5 star crash rating and the STI is hands down, #1.

AWD, engine reliability, power and torque, ease of maintenance (access to all areas without interference removal), steering response, braking power.

None.