Used 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Fun Car
By porkfarm

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I chose this over the EVO MR, because of the interior and the cruise control. I do have to admit that the EVO MR looked better from the outside; then again, I can’t see the outside when I am driving. STi is definitely built for the fun/excitement factor, not for comfort. It took a few days for me get use to that much hp and turbo and control, but now, it puts a smile on my face every time I step into the car. This or the EVO probably are the best performance machines (ignoring the comfort) for a sub $40k purchase. Definitely a car to consider before having kids. Other cars I considered were G35, 330i, TL, IS350, GTO, Cobra, 350Z.

The control, acceleration, excellent breaking, 6sp, HID, DCCD (never took it out of auto), IC water spray (never used it), brought fun and excitement to daily commute.

Bigger gas tank (no problem on the gas mileage, but only 200 miles between each fill up is a bit tedious). Other than that, rest is expected from a high performance car: tires, gas, high maintenance cost, very high insurance, speeding tickets etc.

Car Lover
By Blake

I bought my STi in November and I love it! Where can you get a car that goes 0-60 in 4.5 secs for less than $30,000. I traded a 06' Eclipse since it wasn't fast enough and didn't have AWD. The STi is the best car I have had and I have been through 3 in the last 3 years. I think the STi has the potential to be one of the fastest cars on the road if tuned and hooked up properly. I want at least 500hp and 475lbs of torque when all sudden done. The STi is a lean mean killing machine when it comes to acceleration and performance. Would not trade it in for nothing, oh and ah the EVO rode to shift and where else can you get a 6 spoke clutch from a stock car! Sorry EVO lovers but STI rules!

AWD, the wing of course, acceleration, handling, easy shifting, great in the snow, at least it has cruise control (the EVO doesn't, the looks, wheels)l.

Two ac/dc adapters instead of one, more power, and maybe a slick body kit with lowering springs to hide some wheel gap!

2007 STI is a Very Nice Ride...
By John

This is my second Subaru in 3 years, and I am sold on these cars. I had a 05 WRX wagon prior to this, and I loved it. This car however is in a whole 'nother league. Everything has been tightened up, and it handles like it's on rails. Of course with handling you give up comfort, but who cares. For a bone stock car this thing is really fast. I can see why this thing hangs with M3's. It's no slouch.. The Brembo brakes are a huge improvement over my WRX. Mileage around town stinks, but on the freeway it is not bad (around 25 @ 80). Stereo stinks, but I have a double din nav that is going in shortly. Only complaint is the wing. Not a big fan. Plus, cops and idiots seem to be drawn to it.

Xion lights, Brembo brakes. 6 speed, 300 HP.

Stock stereo is a joke. Smaller rear wing. M+S tire option at purchase.

The Ultimate Car For Mountain Residents
By STier

I live in the mountains of Southern California and I couldn't imagine that there is a car better suited for me. I've had this car for a year now and have had absolutely no problems with it. The car has insane power. Very comfortable and smooth on the freeway. The biggest bonus for me though, is that you can drive this car in snow! I've driven up to Big Bear with literally 3.5 ft. of snow on the ground without a single slip, no chains needed! This is the ultimate car to have if you live in the mountains.

Unbelievable performance for the summer. Outstanding performance in snow and ice (with all-season tires of course). Intuitive controls. Outstanding gauges (bright and well placed). Climate control is excellent. Cruise control and decent freeway gas mileage is great for road trips. Big trunk.

The shifter is clumsy to shift into reverse. The back seat are a little cramped and don't fold down. Poor gas mileage on the mountain. The car is a cop magnet (trust me).

Killer Grocery-Getter
By Ted

I previously owned an 03 Mustang Cobra with over 500 HP, so I was a little concerned about taking a 200-horse beating ...however... this car is amazing. It handles like it's on rails, and the brakes will bloody your nose. I am happy I made the trade!

Superior handling, huge trunk, adjustable headlights.

Rear wing is in the way, would like to see a tilt-steering wheel option.