Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

The Ultimate Car For Mountain Residents
By STier

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I live in the mountains of Southern California and I couldn't imagine that there is a car better suited for me. I've had this car for a year now and have had absolutely no problems with it. The car has insane power. Very comfortable and smooth on the freeway. The biggest bonus for me though, is that you can drive this car in snow! I've driven up to Big Bear with literally 3.5 ft. of snow on the ground without a single slip, no chains needed! This is the ultimate car to have if you live in the mountains.

Unbelievable performance for the summer. Outstanding performance in snow and ice (with all-season tires of course). Intuitive controls. Outstanding gauges (bright and well placed). Climate control is excellent. Cruise control and decent freeway gas mileage is great for road trips. Big trunk.

The shifter is clumsy to shift into reverse. The back seat are a little cramped and don't fold down. Poor gas mileage on the mountain. The car is a cop magnet (trust me).

Wow. Just wow.
By Matt

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded up from a VW GTi VR6, and I am just stunned at how powerful a machine the STi is. The VR6 was no slouch, but the STi is a sports car, not a "sporty car". The acceleration is brutal (in a good way), and can keep up with a BMW M3 and most Porsches. While people get caught up in the acceleration numbers (Car and Driver drove a stock STi from 0-60 in 4.6 seconds), it's the handling that sold me. Tight, responsive, you always feel in control of the car. It's true the ride is a bit noisy and stiff, with minimal comforts (the GTi felt more luxurious), but one test drive sold me. I thought the expression "it puts a smile on my face" was a cliche until I drove an STi.

The acceleration, the handling, the AWD capability, the huge trunk (for a former rally car!), the solid-feeling construction, the aggressive styling.

I'm not a fan of the huge wing, but I'll live with it. More rear legroom would be a plus.

I Love My Suby.
By JSenak

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Off-Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the second Subaru I have owned and I love ’em. The AWD system is awesome and the handling is quite fun. The body does roll a bit around curves, but once you figure out the balance and how to shift the weight, it is smooth. I love the power and the performance as well as the practicality of a wagon. I like the new look of the 06's, however many other cars out there have a similar front end, and although there is a lot of space inside, it feels kind of cramped. The gears are a bit ruff at times and shifting into reverse is stiff.

The handling of an AWD car always surprises me. It can corner easily and takes some curves better than other front and rear drive cars I have driven. I also like the gauges and display layout.

Something to improve upon would be the interior. It has a lot of space but feels cramped. I’m a short person and not very big, but even I feel like everything wraps around me. Another thing to look at would be the manual transmission. It feels kind ‘a ruff getting it into gear sometimes.

All around driving enjoyment
By jim wightman

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving this car. We travel between Canada and Texas twice a year so our driving entails two very long high speed trips and then mostly driving around town. Excellent car for both driving types. Smooth, good cornering, pretty quiet, good gas mileage. Seats could be more comfortable. Front spoiler scrapes easily. As mentioned previously, first gear acceleration is not adequate unless rpm is high prior to clutch engagement. Some sign of early interior wear. First gear jerky at low speed.

Driving fun at moderate cost. Does lots of things well.

Seats, first gear acceleration, paint chipping on front spoiler/bumper. For noisy roof rack, try installing spoilers opposite factory instructions/thin edge forward.

SWEEEET RIDE!
By MD

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchase this vehicle only 2 weeks ago. My first tank of fuel I drove 402 miles. I purchased this vehicle because my Nissan Pathfinder lease was up and I wanted a car with AWD and solid fuel economy for the Rocky Mts. It hauls up I-70 no problem. I was able to put all my Thule gear on top and still fit a my wife and two small children in the car with ease. The 5-speed is the only way to go with this ride due to the drag in the auto. I am surprised of all the complements I receive when I drive this car around. It is low on ego and fun to drive! It has the upgraded sound system which puts out plenty of bass and drowns out the noise of the roof rack.

Has Style, plenty of power and is versatile.

I am not that picky yet!