Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I Love My Subie!--Greeley, CO
By Landon-21 years old

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

W O W ! This is a great car for the money. Compared to other 4 door sedans under $20,000 this one knocks the doors off the competition. This car is so practical and fun and well its a great car. I hope that if you are looking for a car that you definitely consider Subaru. By the way I get 21 city & 26 hwy, so decent gas mileage also especially considering it is an automatic and has AWD.

GREAT handling, nice power for such low HP, fun to drive, sturdy suspension, AWD, very simple interior (plain & to the point), decent stereo, awesome looks, reliability, 3 low gears, fun on curvy mountain roads, deep trunk, bright lights, well done sport seats, and it is a really sweet lookin' car.

Well if you want more power, step it up to the turbo or STi I guess, TOO FUN to drive which makes me drive it more than I probably should and so therefore I tend to go through a lot of gas...but that's about all. Hope to see you on the road drivin' a Subie.

Hello Safe Drivers: Get the LEGACY
By anne

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Race-car drivers can ignore this. Smart, safe drivers should get the Legacy. My Buick skid on a wet road and crashed badly. Wanted Subaru Legacy for AWD and safety features, but decided to save money and get Impreza. AWD is great. No one regrets buying Legacy. Gas mileage is better in small car, but Legacy is the better car.

AWD, side air bag, good breaks, good crash-test rating. The combination of fuel-efficient 4-cylinder with really good horse-power. tight curves are great.

My car insurance thinks this car is a race car (probably got my 2.5 confused with the WRX model) but I can't even go 70mph in it without car rocking from wind! Car needs to be lower to the ground maybe to make it "heavier"? May not be best idea to get COMPACT car from an *SUV* dealer.

Great performer/handler, fun/practical
By Mike

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Off-Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Power and handling are excellent, but if you're used to a torquey V6 (Maxima in my case), the turbo-4 power delivery takes getting used to. WRX is, and feels, small and light. Sound system seems weak to me, but probably because my Maxima's was pretty good. Same with interior. It looks good, but after a while it feels a little econo, and there are rattles. My Maxima NEVER rattled. This car looks hot. Styling, wheels, spoiler, side sills. The Limited package could include more. Up in Legacy GT price range, but Legacy is probably a better buy. Outstanding all-around car (very fun!), but if you have a Maxima (or similar) and want a Subaru, Legacy GT might be a better choice.

Power - Handling - Styling/appearance - All-wheel drive utility/handling - Overall fun-to-drive factor - Feels small/light while driving - Extremely "practical" and day-to-day livable for what is essentially a sports car. - Interior feels econo, but at least it looks good.

More from the Limited package. Maybe STI's HID's, more powerful sound system, remote keyless trunk release, etc. With the Mazda 3 offering nav, Impreza should compete, ESPECIALLY in Limited trim. Eliminate interior rattles. Folding back seat. Suspension could be tighter (Mazdaspeed 3).

Best Bang for the Buck
By Mikey Mike

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have only owned the car for 1 week as of today and I am very impressed. I am trading down from an Audi TT roadster 225hp (lease). I don't even consider it trading down, since the Subaru out performs my Audi (seriously). I purchased the car as a 2006 left over so I got a great deal on it ($21,000). If you are looking to buy a sports car with the functionality of a wagon look no further. 0-60mph in the low to mid 5 second range in for under $25k...enough said. I am so happy with this car.

Acceleration! Handles well.

Stereo needs to be upgraded and interior is very plain and there is a little body roll, but I can't complain because it more than makes up for it in all-around performance.

My car went boom
By STigoesboom

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I buy cars to race and to tune them. I have worked on Lambo's to Kia's. My brother owns a shop in Delaware where I do all of my work and dyno tuning. I was very surprised when then engine practically blew up with minor tuning (nothing internal and factory turbo). After talking with other people who have tried this seems to be a common occurrence. My suggestion... buy the car if you want a fairly quick car that is going to be left stock. You want to tune your car and make it special to you...buy something else.

A good car straight off the block. The second spoiler was a needed improvement.

Subaru knows most people are going to do minor tuning...make the engine so it can take a little more power. If not, have options you can get from the factory with a factory warranty!