Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Fun and Great!
By Jeremiah

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is amazing in some things and ok in others.Starting out with amazing things: great, AWD handles EXCELLENT in rain/snow/mud, great exterior style, drives very smoothly and takes corners very well, 26 MPG. Some of the things I dont like: jerky @ very low speeds in 1st/2nd gear not so much 2nd, inconsistent low fuel light and one rattle I've noticed under the steering wheel. This car has good pick up speed. The interior is pretty nice, but the seats could be a little more comfortable. Carpet in the car seems a little cheap, hard to get pine needles, dirt etc out of it.This was fixed by buying rubber floor mats I cut to customize fit. Overall a great buy, money well spent VERY safe and a blast.

Symetrical AWD, mirror compass, daytime funning lights, auto sensor passenger airbag, good cargo space, GREAT HANDLING. Overall a great buy.

Rattle, low fuel light, better carpet, better seats, slightly better sound system.

The drag strip will clear any doubt.
By elliot

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Rev it up to 7K RPM, dump the clutch and everybody will have to play catch up including some modified cars. I had my doubts of its performance, but a trip to the local drag strip took care of it. I was highly impressed (13.4) of its performance for an unmodified car. It outperformed Evo, GTO, Mustang, Firebird, mod 350z, mod cobalt SS and several others; couldn't ask for more.

Performance, handling, braking, paint quality, good size trunk and turning radius.

Fold down rear seats, rear seat space, rear side curtain airbag.

Fun and Practical
By Steve

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I looked at a lot of cars before buying this. I got a great deal at $17,750. $1000 instant rebate for end of year, and another $250 below dealer invoice - negotiated for one of the last '06s. Plenty of power, handles great, AWD is great in snow and on bumpy roads. I always look forward to driving it. Unless you do serious 4 wheeling or tow a boat, an SUV is not only a waste of gas, but MUCH, MUCH less fun to drive. I'm so glad to have a car that will do anything I need it to, plus it's a blast to drive. If you don't need AWD the Mazda 5 and Matrix are comparable, but for AWD nothing compare to a Subie at the price point. It drives like a $40,000 Audi or BMW, but is MORE reliable.

AWD. Fun to drive. Quality/reliability. Styling. Balance of mpg and power. Balance of handling and ride. I replaced the stock radio with a Panasonic with iPod input and upgraded speakers for under $300.

Needs a light in the hatch and map lights. The passenger space is limited. I'm 5'11" and like a lot of room. I have it, but then there's not enough room for an adult to sit behind me. If you move the front seats a few notches forward and don't recline a lot an adult can fit in the backseat.

Fun Car
By porkfarm

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I chose this over the EVO MR, because of the interior and the cruise control. I do have to admit that the EVO MR looked better from the outside; then again, I can’t see the outside when I am driving. STi is definitely built for the fun/excitement factor, not for comfort. It took a few days for me get use to that much hp and turbo and control, but now, it puts a smile on my face every time I step into the car. This or the EVO probably are the best performance machines (ignoring the comfort) for a sub $40k purchase. Definitely a car to consider before having kids. Other cars I considered were G35, 330i, TL, IS350, GTO, Cobra, 350Z.

The control, acceleration, excellent breaking, 6sp, HID, DCCD (never took it out of auto), IC water spray (never used it), brought fun and excitement to daily commute.

Bigger gas tank (no problem on the gas mileage, but only 200 miles between each fill up is a bit tedious). Other than that, rest is expected from a high performance car: tires, gas, high maintenance cost, very high insurance, speeding tickets etc.

Gone, Sold, Amazed
By KJ

I am a 40 year old man who has brought several cars/trucks back from the dead to a better than stock finish. I have enjoyed the muscle cars of the late 60's mainly and several foreign cars & trucks. I can honestly say I have never driven a bone stock car or any of my creations or creations of my friends that just flat out amazed me. BUT THIS CAR DID. For the money I still can't believe how good this car goes and handles. I sometimes go back and look at the blacktop to verify I'm not picking it up off the ground. I love this car on back roads especially, we ave plenty of them in WV. I just wish they had some type of license here that if you passed the test you could drive as fast as you want.

Speed, handling, power.

Fold down rear seat, sound insulation stock.