Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

The Affordable Supercar
By RallyX

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this car for 3 years now, and I can honestly say there is no other car in the 30k-45k price range I would rather have. Being in the driver's seat is pure bliss, and the road will bow to your every whim. The turbo engine keeps driving exhilarating, and requires some skill to unleash fully. Interior is spartan but sufficient. Exterior screams "fear me". Fuel economy has been around 22 mpg mixed, which is excellent for such a ferocious car. Have not had a single mechanical issue yet. Take warning: 1. The ride is brutal 2. Car thieves will try to jack your car (3 attempts on my car already!)

Back-bending acceleration, super-glue handling, enlightened steering, great front seats, excellent brakes, blue interior, 4 door + spacious trunk practicality, AWD, good gas mileage for a supercar, reliable, envious looks from ricers everywhere.

Shifter is occasionally notchy & gets stuck, power windows squeek, needs steering wheel audio controls. Better stock speakers. Batmobile-like security system is a must.

Truck replacement
By Bryan1280

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a car to replace my truck so I got the Subaru and a utility trailer. The Subaru with AWD is much better than my truck in 4WD in the snow. The Subaru gets 24-27MPH the truck got 17-18. They are equal speed. I can tow up to 1500 pounds including the weight of the trailer which is all that I need for house hold chores and toy (ATV/Dirtbike) hauling. The mechanics of this car are solid. I am not easy on it and nothing has failed me. I even went 80,000 before replacing the brakes and 50,000 before the tires. This car handles so well in the snow that it is not even fun.

Drive train performance

I only have two complaints: The first is the radio, it is not powerful enough to overpower the sound of the wind with the windows down at 75 MPH. The second are the body panels which nick and ding to easily.

Versatile!
By DD

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is meant to be driven hard, and it's loads of fun when driven hard. I wish the turbo would be more readily available, but what's really great about the car is the value for money - AWD, Turbo, Sporty, and a Wagon. It's a great blend of features I was looking for. It's practical, affordable, and a lot of fun to drive as a sporty car. It's my first new car, and it's been rock solid so far. No complaints.

AWD, Turbo, Handling, Practicality (Sport Wagon), Character.

Why isn't leather available on the new models? they could do a better job with the interior (too plasticky).

Great Car! More fun than newer models!
By Anonymous

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Subaru Impreza sport wagon. It's funny because it was more of a hatchback than a station wagon and it handled amazingly well. I recently totaled it but came out without a scratch! When I test drove the new 2008 Imprezas, they were clunkier, heavier, and didn't take turns as well. I know 3 years isn't long, but I never had a single problem that brought me to the dealer. I'm a huge fan and wish they didn't redesign the imprezas so I could happily buy another one! Great gas mileage, handling, braking, acceleration (for it's price and engine), lots of storage space on the wagonI

Handling, braking, reliability

Better factory installed speakers, more room to get into the back seat (Lots of my friends hit their heads getting in because of the door curve-- but I didn't care as I was always driving!).

Very solid, just a few minor dislikes
By Captain D

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have 83,000 miles on the clock at this time. It's been very solid and reliable. It drives pretty well. I have found over the years that the suspension does not feel as solid and connected to the road as it used to. The interior noise can be bad when you have passengers. Overall it's been a very reliable and solid car.

Interior build quality and design, reliable, large trunk, good mileage for an 2.5 liter AWD. Comfortable drivers seat.

Noisy interior, suspension does not feel as solid as it used to, automatic is bad at shifting, hesitates to down shift, and will double down shift. Stock tires not good, little room for passengers.