Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 411 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I'm in love with my car
By Quad

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love it when I start it, when I drive it, and when I lock it up. I love it in the middle of the night just knowing it's in the garage. The power. The brakes. The handling. The roar. The POWER! And the looks I get -- driving into the parking garage at work ... dropping my kid off at school (from the other parents) ... pulling into the 7-11. You can take your 350Z, your Evo, your (cough) S2000 and keep them. Keep them out of my way, that is.

Tires stick like flypaper to the road -- brakes make you happy for that seat belt -- acceleration makes you grin like a madman.

Seriously, Subaru, the paint needs help. It chips if you look at it funny. I put a serious scratch in the door with my FINGERNAIL. However, you know it's a pretty good car if all you can complain about is the paint.

PERFECT 10
By KEITH

I love this car. It's got gobs of power in every gear, handles like it's on rails, has great fitting seats (for the average size guy at least), nice visible gauge cluster, and gets good gas mileage considering what it is. It's a factory made race car, that is totally street drivable. I can even haul the kids around town with no discomfort what so ever. The best car for under $30k and even beats some higher prices exotics.

The styling, it's like no other car on the street. Not many cars other than higher priced sports cars like the Z06 can beat it in the straight line, and nothing can compare in the twisties (other than it's rival the EVO8).

None. The car rocks as it is.

Fourth Subaru....
By Kevin

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the previous owner of a '77 awd wagon that I logged 300k on and a Legacy GT '02 and an Outback Legacy. I like this Sub the best except one thing. There is a small rattle coming from the rear hatch area that the dealer cannot fix after multiple visits. Just going to live with it. Car handles great and yes, it's worth more now than what I owe and I put nothing down! Really holds its value well. Fast enough for me with 168hp 4 cylinder and cruises easily with the automatic transmission. For those getting sub-par gas mileage ... change the air-filter+ oil frequently and use Chevron gas additive Techroline Plus. It makes a BIG difference. Was 20-22 now 25- 26mpg. I know this car will hold up for 300k.

Well balanced power/weight ratio, inexpensive for what you get, awd and great suspension. Reliable, Reliable, Reliable. Low maintenance, low insurance. Still have not seen a car '05 or '06 that I say -- OH I should have bought that car instead. The practical hatchback awd wagon that parks like a dream.

They made them in '05 -- better stereo, interior. In '05 they announced a premium package that only cost $500 for the stereo upgrade; 330watts/ leather accented s/wheel/shifter/brake, better rims and an upgraded cloth interior.

Can't go wrong with the STi
By RodSTi

This car is an excellent choice if you are a driving enthusiast who wants a daily driver. The engine pulls good at any RPM, almost feels like there's no turbo lag in day-to-day driving. The car is practical even with its design intent. Four doors and easy to drive make it a great daily driver. The gas mileage may be poor regardless of how you drive, but you will be hard pressed to drive this car like a normal person. The car begs you to push it as hard as you can. The suspension is tight but you can live with it. I have raced that car in autocrosses and the handling is fun, you can achieve oversteer with the right tire pressure. The brakes are also out of this world.

Great engine, trans, suspension, and breaks. The aerodynamics really is functional. 4 doors and a good-sized trunk. DCCD does make the car drive like a true rear drive. Finally, this i s a great daily driver and weekend racer.

Lots of brake dust and most importantly, the paint chips easily.

Street Legal Rally Car
By hotprop

It'll lope along in 6th at 50 mph. HID's (height adjustable), DCCD, 6-speed tranny, I/C spray, adj. Tach (shift points), and 300 smoothly delivered horsepower. Idles nicely at 500 rpm, lopes along at 2000 rpm. Get it over 4000 rpm and that boxer just growls so nice it gives you goose bumps. The tires are excellent and give good performance, wet or dry, but do let them warm-up. Very responsive handling. Oh, did I mention the BRAKES. Seats four, large trunk, large glove box makes it a car you could live with day to day. You can't buy another car like this for any amount of money. It's a fantastic performance car!

Dependability, driveability, handling, horsepower. Put a set of snow tires on it and you rule the road. Absolutely the best handling vehicle I've ever driven in the snow (except for a snowmobile). If you want a car that can do SOME THINGS better than this car, bring an extra 50 grand.

A stronger centering spring for the 6-speed. If you're long legged the cruise control stalk will brush against your knee. It needs to be moved somewhere else because one of these days I feel I'm gonna snap it off. A pass-through in the rear seat for ski's. Less understeer at the limit.