Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 411 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great car
By Josh

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my "realistic" dream car thanks to the FIA WRC. I've had it for 2 years now and still love every second I'm behind the wheel on it. The only problems I've had with it are that the paint is kinda weak and a bulb in my headlight and two in my taillights have gone out. Engine wise, it hits 6,000rpms or more at least once a day and has done so happily. There is a very minor occasional squeak on really rough potholed roads but 99% of the time it is squeakless. Build quality is excellent. The AWD is fantastic. I would recommend this car to anyone that loves to drive.

Turbocharged boxer engine, excellent handling, AWD traction, great resale value, reliable, decent gas mileage.

Weak paint, boring interior, seats aren't comfortable on long trips, cupholder for large drinks is positioned horribly above the stereo head unit and is flimsier than I would like.

Early Review - 500mi.
By STI USAF GI

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm a race fanatic. I've driven Acura's RSX Type-S and ridden Suzuki's GSXR 1000, taking both through their and my limits. Hence the term 'speed junky' to describe myself would be well used. The STi has been by far the best bang for the buck I've ever experienced. Just like with motorcycles, I'm not going to tell you that one car is the best for you; it boils down to driving preference, comfort, and affordability. For $31k I was considering the MazdaSpeed6, and the MazdaSpeed3. After our last few snowstorms here in CO I settled for an AWD sedan with a good punch. The STi has been by far the best refined AWD sedan I tested within this price range/category (sports-sedan).

- AWD - DCCD/LSD dial - Shift light - Power - Torque - Headlights - Clearance - MPG.

- Rear passenger leg room or go to 2 door configuration - FI Map changing on the fly for different winter fuel - Short-throw included. - Acura RDX Turbo style - NO LAG! Big punch! - Motion sensitive alarm included. - All weather tire included. - Big wing; optional. - Quieter ride.

Cute car, stupid, cheap cutbacks
By sbirnbaum100

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned a 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback (manual) - awesome. A used 1996 Subaru Legacy - good (manual) started collapsing at 151K), now the 2004 Subaru Impreza TS Wagon automatic. I'm not impressed. It eats gas (23 mpg average). It's expensive to maintain. We couldn't buy it with side body guards. It doesn't have a key for the trunk. If the electric goes, we have no trunk. There's been a ticking (in different gears) with the car since we bought it. The Subie dealer said it's a known issue with the pistons and is not considered a problem. Is that really true? If it's not a problem, why did they "fix it" in the 2007 model.

Pickup is great when needed - it should be! It's cute.

Compare maintenance costs to the comps like Hondas or Toyotas and get the least expensive. Put the keylock on the trunk. The hubcaps are still absolute junk. Spruce up the interior Fix the seats - make them comfortable. Don't know how long this car will last and have concerns about it.

3 years now and still loving it
By Christine

My husband convinced me to get this car because he knew that I would not need to replace it anytime in the foreseeable future. It works as a 'family' car and a daily driver. My husband and I were window shopping for something better and you can't find it for less than $60k. At least not with 4 doors and AWD, which is a must.

Exterior design, handling, power, interior color scheme, the 'size' (I'm petite).

The plastic on the interior feels cheep, and the paint does chip pretty bad. While I like the placement (for the most part) of the upper drink cup holder, it is cheep plastic and doesn't hold very large cups. Oh yeah, and 60/40 rear folding seats.

Fun to drive
By sriegg

This has to be the most fun I've ever had driving. It's quick, sharp and loves to go.

Large trunk, with 4 doors that makes it easy to get in and out of. Love the rear view mirror, really makes a difference when someone comes up behind with bright lights.

Wouldn't want to make a road trip in it, the seats need a shock system, you can feel the paint on the roads. So you can imagine what a bumpy road might feel like.